A few Saturdays ago, we traveled to southern New Jersey to visit REI - a sporting goods store that Peter LOVES. In fact, I'm not even sure which would win out as his favorite store of all time - REI or the Apple Store. That's really saying something because he really LOVES the Apple store. Since REI is about an hour and a half drive from us, we tend to only go about once a year. The kids needed new coats and so we headed down. We didn't actually keep track of how much time we spent there, but we think it may have been 4 hours! I'm not sure what we did that whole time. The kids both loved trying out bikes, sleds, shoes, etc. And Kaia kept asking us if we wanted to come to her cottage (e.g. hang out on the floor under a display of coats) for some almond cheese strawberries and cream (e.g. a very fancy imaginary creation). We left with way too much but at least we'll be warm all winter! When we saw the kids in these vests we just couldn't not buy them.
My brother Jordan has been visiting for about the past week. He's been trying to talk me into running the New York Marathon with him next year. Keep in mind I haven't consistently jogged in at least 4 years. But after giving birth naturally to Asher, I knew that a marathon was the next big item on my list of life goals. His presence here has inspired me and I took advantage of his babysitting to go jogging by myself a few days ago. Today he was gone visiting a friend, but by the end of the day I was just itching to get out running. SOOOOO I mustered up my courage and bundled the kids up for our first official jog together. It was only in the 40s today, and I didn't want them to freeze so I layered their clothing, and then some. Aside from their hands and noses, I'm pretty sure neither of them got cold. Asher was dressed to impress with socks & shoes, 2 pairs of pants, a long-sleeved turtleneck, his REI vest, his winter coat, and his hat from last year (somewhat cozy on his head now). Kaia was definitely stylin' in her princess shoes, tights under her favorite turquoise pants, the qipao (yes, she wore a Chinese qipao on our run), Winnie the Pooh jacket, her REI vest, her winter coat, and her purple hat from last year. I was very proud of myself for getting out the door even after taking all the time to get them so bundled up.
Finally, a couple of stories. We're thinking we may have lived in an urban area for too long. That's all Kaia's known except when we've been on vacation. She was pretending to be a whale a couple of days ago and she said she "came up for air, but there were no parking spaces!" Who would be concerned with that in any normal part of the United States? Only in an urban city do you have to worry about finding parking when you go grocery shopping, go to the mall, go to church, go to friends' houses - okay, you get the picture. At least we now have a parking spot of our own at home.
Another disclaimer regarding the following story: we did not teach our daughter any of what she says in this story, but if you're the type to think we're awful parents please stop reading here. =)
After one of Kaia's trips to the "potty," she ran out and the following conversation ensued between Jordan and her:
Jordan: Did you wash your hands?
Kaia: No!
Jordan: Why not?
Kaia: I went pee. You only wash hands after poop.
Jordan: You're supposed to wash your hands any time you go to the bathroom.
Kaia: That's crazy. I've never heard of that before.
Out of the mouth of babes!

2 comments:
Kaia is one of my favorite kids (besides my own, of course). She cracks me up. Whale parking spaces! Priceless.
Asher looks really sad in this photo.
Post a Comment