Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Turquoise Terror!

Kaia celebrated her 3rd birthday on Tuesday. She is so proud to be 3. She started the day with oatmeal and toast, her favorite breakfast. She got to open a present right after breakfast - ballerina dolly clothes from Grandma Vickie. She decided to dress like a ballerina herself for the day (see next post for picture). I decided not to do a party this time - Kaia's already been getting presents for the past couple months; I didn't want to also add in the expectation of birthday parties when she hasn't thought of them before. She was so excited to get mail - a card and Aurora necklace from Sienna & Brandon - in a turquoise envelope, which just so happens to be her favorite color!

Kaia's had a fixation with big bad wolves, foxes, and pigs ever since she saw a little cartoon about the big bad wolf and the 3 little pigs. She originally told me she wanted a big bad wolf cake. Here's what happened in her words as she explained it to Peter on the phone when he asked if she was getting a big bad wolf cake: "We didn't figure it out. We're making a piggy cake instead!" It wasn't until the cake was cut into pig shapes that I realized we were out of red food coloring. I asked Kaia if she wanted a blue or green pig instead. She chose blue. I had already added a couple drops of yellow food coloring and lo, and behold, we had turquoise frosting! Kaia was very pleased to get a turquoise pig cake. I am sort of mortified by this turquoise terror - it looks even worse in pictures than it did in real life!


Kaia and Asher were both EXTREMELY helpful making the cake.


And Asher really dug into this cake. I think he must have remembered his own birthday cake from a couple months ago. He just dug right in!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Hey, Maile, way to be creative--I'm sure the "terror" was tasty! We haven't seen you in a while. Hopefully we can get together soon.