Sunday, June 7, 2009

Joy in the Journey

We had an interesting week. Starting on Monday, one plan after another fell through all week long due to causes that were out of our hands. It could easily have turned into an exercise in frustration, and I wouldn't have blamed my kids if they had thrown a tantrum or two when these plans they were excited about had to be changed. But my kids taught me an excellent lesson this week; they taught me about having joy in the journey. For instance, on Tuesday we were planning to go strawberry picking with a friend and her daughter, but the daughter woke up sick that morning. Instead of moping, my kids became fully engaged in a project of their making - using my scrapbooking chalk to color several dinosaur cutouts made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. They probably spent two hours coloring these little cutouts and then more time gluing them on to butcher paper. Here they are busy at work (pictured with our friend's son, who we now watch two days a week).


This week's experiences brought to mind President Thomas S. Monson's October 2009 General Conference talk, Finding Joy in the Journey. Below I'll share a couple of my favorite quotes.

"This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."

I was reminded this week that letting kids have time to jump in puddles and make mudpies for birds is important; getting everywhere I think we need to go on time is not so important.

"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."

This quote captures the essence of why I want to have joy in the journey now. I want to look back when my kids are grown and know that we spent much of our time making memories and ignoring fingerprints.

We finally did make it strawberry picking on Saturday and made some fun memories then. Kaia was very serious about her strawberry picking:

Asher was very serious about his strawberry sampling (despite my many attempts to get him to wait!):


We put our strawberries to good use. I highly recommend this strawberry shortcake recipe; the shortcake itself had such a wonderful flavor, and with the strawberries and Cool Whip it was out of this world!

8 comments:

Kristi said...

I needed this reminder, so thanks Maile!! I do get terribly annoyed with my children and I try to remind myself to enjoy them, but it sure is hard! Those strawberries look delicious....they remind me that I need to make more strawberry jam. How are you feeling these days?

Jennie and Adam said...

There's nothing like having kids to help us remember that plans change and that that can be just as exciting--I mean, who doesn't love a good 3-hour arts and craft project!. I'm glad you finally made it strawberry picking. We're looking forward to that this week, provided I don't have a baby before then!

Lisa said...

I love this quote!! I just read it again the other day as I have been trying to be more patient while I learn to deal with Mia no longer napping... I miss nap time! And those strawberries do look fantastic! Yum yum!

MaryAnne said...

I love that talk, and especially your second quote! The strawberry shortcake looks delicious, we need to try that out this summer (and I need to take my kids strawberry picking, thanks for the reminder!)

Sara said...

Strawberries are so heavenly! The talk was such a wonderful talk as well, thanks for sharing

gretchen said...

What a great reminder--thanks so much. :) I love that talk.

Katie said...

Such a great talk; I have reflected on it a lot lately. I hope that you are feeling good and keeping up with everything!

Paula said...

You post reminded me of this quote a friend has on their email tagline:
Some would gather money along his path of life. Some would gather roses and rest from earthly strife.
But I would gather children from among the thorns of sin. I would seek some little curl or an awkward toothless grin.
For money cannot enter in the land of endless days. And roses that are
gathered soon will wilt along the way.
But oh, the laughing children as I
cross that sunset sea And the gates swing wide to heaven, I can bring them with me.
** author unknown