Monday, June 15, 2009

We're having a...


Stinker!! This is my third baby that has been shy (or stubborn) about revealing his/her gender (I finally found out what Kaia was at 7 months pregnant; the technician for Asher's 20 week ultrasound poked and prodded him enough that he finally gave a little glimpse of the vital region). To make a long story short...I went for an ultrasound last Thursday and was extremely disappointed not to learn the gender. I came to terms with it, though, and I'm actually considering waiting until the baby is born to find out. Is that crazy? Has anybody had experience with waiting? Was it worth it? The thought crossed my mind that maybe that experience would be similar to when I had Asher without an epidural - it's not something I would have chosen to do on my own, but it turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life. Any opinions?

One of the biggest reasons I wanted to find out was for planning purposes. I want to start narrowing down names, which seems a little more difficult if I don't even know which gender to focus on. I want to pick out yarn colors to begin making this baby's blanket. But I'm beginning to think I can plan around the gender better than I would have thought. We do already have baby clothes for a boy or a girl. I can make a short list of my favorite names for each. And perhaps I can make a baby blanket that would go either way. I've been salivating over the yarns in the picture below for months now and I had thought it would be best for a boy, but I'd like to put it up to a vote. Can these greens go either way? Or do they strike you as very much representing one gender or the other? To me, green obviously matches up very well with blue and other "boy colors." But I think green also goes quite well with pink and purple and other "girl colors."

15 comments:

gretchen said...

Too funny that Baby #3 is being shy! Since you already have one of each, I think it might be fun to be surprised, a little extra incentive to push for (literally).

I think your yarn looks really beautiful and could work well with either blue or pink. I also really love chocolate as a unisex color.

MaryAnne said...

I love that green yarn, and I think it could go either way.

We didn't find out if Emma was a boy or girl until I was 36 weeks pregnant, when we went in for a late ultrasound because they thought she was breech (we got lucky and she wasn't). But I have found out with each child. I know my sister had a surprise at least once, maybe all three times? Of course, ultrasounds aren't 100% right anyhow, so we have a backup boy name for our #3 just in case...

Lulu said...

I think I know you well enough to know that you probably couldn't wait to know the sex. Like me, you would probably just have the tech just tell you what it was at the next ultrasound! haha!
But kuddos if you can. I love that green color. It would go perfect w/ a nice rich chocolate w/ bright pink, and a bit of purple and/or yellow.
Good luck! let me know if you need anything! Yeah for our "so you think you can dance" marathon!

Brandon and Sienna said...

Well I definitely think those are the most beautiful greens ever. I think they could go either way for sure. But I don't know, I just got stopped at the store today asking me if Eamon was a boy or girl. He had a green outfit on, so who knows.

Kristi said...

Oh man, I would have to find out, but I do think it is kind of fun to wait to find out! The green is gorgeous and would go with either great.

Becca said...

I had a friend who couldn't decide if she wanted to know or not so she had the technician write the baby's sex on a piece of paper and put it in a sealed envelope. Then she'd have it to open if she decided to know - she actually ended up waiting. I'm not so patient . . I'm a planner :)

The greens are pretty but I definitely think the lighter ones go well with pink. The darker ones just seem more 'boyish'. I know I'm totally throwing a cork in what everyone else has said - just go with what you like!

Jess said...

You already have the basics for either a boy or a girl, so why not wait? :)

And I think ANY of the greens would work for either gender. Emma received a green quilt that I later learned was "supposed" to be for a boy (a miscommunication between my grandmother and aunt), but it has enough yellow, pink, and white in it that I thought it looked perfectly girly! I can send you a pic of the color combo if you want.

Sara said...

I think you should do what you want. The funny thing is it would probably bother more of us than you to wait till the baby is born! We are too curious! I love the greens!!

Jamie said...

Boo for shy babies! The greens are really pretty, but I think the lighter one would work best as a gender-neutral color. Before I knew what Lincoln was we got some yellow clothes, and I realized after he was born that yellow is not really a boy color. Depending on what kind of blanket you make, you could do the middle green, then put a colored edge on when you find out. I couldn't wait - I like to be prepared!

Christina said...

My sister has done chocolate and . . . for her two kids, you add the pink or blue in later. But green is my favorite color, so I don't think you can go wrong! How about green and orange???

Jana Davis said...

Hi Maile its Jana. We didnt find out what we were having on our last and I LOVED IT! I would recommend at least one pregnancy be a surprise. The only hard thing was thinking of names. Also it got annoying that people would ask me why I wasnt finding out and then they go on to tell my why it was that they could never do that. Other than that it was great. Good luck and Congrats!

lori said...

Smile. Might be fun to wait and be surprised! I think the green would be a perfect non-gender-specific color!

Oh, babies are so fun!!!

Mistie said...

Funny that they already have a mind of their own and dont want to cooperate! I really would admire you for being patient and waiting. I think that is great when people do that. That would definately be exciting b/c of the anticipation. Keep us posted on what you decide! Best of luck!

Paula said...

OK, I know I'm late to the party on this one but--absolutely wait! I (reluctantly) waited until birth to find out about my first (I wanted to know but dh didn't...) and we have done the same with each child since. Maybe someday I'll want to find out first, but there is something really magical about getting that first glimpse of your new-born baby and discovering for yourself whether you have a new son or daughter!

Elizabeth said...

Yay! I am so happy for you! I've been doing some blog catch up to find out you are pregnant! :) How have you been feeling? Now I need to catch up and read more of your blog! Wow, three kids! You are awesome!! :)