Friday, July 24, 2009

Fun with Family

My mom and my sister, Brianna, came into town a couple of weeks ago for a two week visit. We had such a great time with them. Following are some of the highlights:

Kaia constantly talks about hosting parties. She'll wake up and say, "Today we're going to have a party because it's my unbirthday. We're going to invite Isabella and Sydney and..." I decided we should finally just hold a real party with some friends, hoping that would get it out of her system. Kaia's request on the invitation was as follows: "Please dress up in pretty clothes. Please, please, oh please, dress in the fanciest, fanciest clothes that you ever have!"

I was so glad my mom was here for the party. She is so enthusiastic and fun, and she kept the kids mesmerized with a story about the Princess and the Frog in a way I just wouldn't have been able to accomplish. My mom was really the glue that held the whole party together.

Kaia enjoyed herself. Of course, that night she was already talking about the next princess party she wants to hold. So much for satisfying her craving for holding parties!


We took a quick 2-day trip up to Palmyra to see the pageant. My mom's friends from Thailand were in the show; her friend's husband was the wicked King Noah:

I loved having 2 more sets of arms to carry the kids. Brianna is such a wonderful aunt. One of the kids' favorite things to do while she was here was to sit on the couch and have her read one book after another to them. I loved having a teenager around who's capable of and willing to help around the house. One day I was caught up in doing something when it came time to knead some dough for pizza. I asked Brianna if she knew how to knead, and away she went. It was awesome!


We also took a trip to the Bronx Zoo.



As we were driving away from the zoo after a full day of fun, Asher and I had the following conversation:

Asher: We forgot to see the lions!

Me: We saw them. Remember, you were on my shoulders?

Asher: Well...we forgot to see the dandelions!

The hardest part of having family come is having them go. Kaia was particularly sad. Fortunately, we'll see my mom (and maybe Brianna?) in a few months when the baby is born. As a side note, we seem to have found a nickname for the baby. Peter was referring to the baby a couple of nights ago and accidentally combined the words "her" and "him" to say "Herm." So this baby is Herm or Hermie until further notice. I jokingly said that we can name the baby Herman if it's a boy and Hermione if it's a girl - the only problem is that Peter actually likes Hermione and thinks that would really work. Fortunately I have Kaia to veto that name in favor of the girl's name we really have picked out, which is fully Kaia approved.

10 comments:

Rachelle said...

Love it! Visits are so fun.

Paula said...

What fun! And Kaia looks so much like you--I love the princess portrait!

Jamie said...

You guys are always doing something fun it seems! What a nice mom to let your daughter have a party - just for fun! We've had suggestions for the name Hermionie since it is very English...but maybe not Herman. :)

Lulu said...

That is so cool that your mom and sister came out. It's always easier to have family here to help when you need 6 other hands.
And as for the name: Hermione I like! but Herman...mmmm...not too fond of! lol
What is the name that Kaia approves of, by the way?

Kristi said...

I'm so glad you had such a great visit! Cute party idea! And as far as the baby name goes......love it!! Herm cracked me up! Can't wait to find out all about the baby!

Jess said...

The princess party looks awesome. Oh how I miss Kaia. And going to the Bronx Zoo with you guys!

Sara said...

What a fun visit and pretty dresses! You don't look prego at all by the way.

Brittany said...

I agree--having family come visit is the best! And we live in such a fun place there's always something to do.

Corey's brother and sister are coming out next week, but after that we HAVE to get together. It's been way too long!

Mistie said...

I vote for Hermione too! It is beautiful!

Lisa said...

You'll have to give me tips on how to throw a proper princess party because Mia is already planning her princess birthday party that is still months away :)