To me, the hardest thing about not knowing Hermie's gender is narrowing down the names that I like. However, the girl's name is set in stone because Kaia will hear nothing about any other name. She even insists this name can work for a boy! My biggest concern is the spelling. So I'm holding a poll right here. I have lived all my life with a name that nobody can say or spell correctly and that gets pretty old. Peter has a favorite spelling of this girl's name, but I am a little worried that people will mispronounce it.
Now where you all come in for the poll...I have written the name below. I would love to have as many responses as possible about your first impression on how this name is pronounced. Please don't let anybody else's comments sway you. I really just want as many opinions as possible so I can get an idea of whether or not people will know how to say this name just based on seeing it and not hearing it first.
Without further ado, the name is (middle name in parentheses)...
Leila (Marie)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Layla. Maybe? It's cue Maile.. and i LOVE your name too :)
I would pronounce it Layla, but I definitely don't think it could work for a boy! Kaia is too funny. :) I think it's a really cute name, and there's already a song for her suitors to sing to her! :)
I would pronounce that like "Lay-la" - is that how you intended? I think you have the most common spelling of it, that is how I would spell it. What is the boy name??!
I would pronounce that 'lay-la'.
My first thought was Lay-la.
Easy to pronounce it looks like--"lay-la" By the way, love the name
Layla as well but I could see some people maybe mispronouncing and or misspelling it. Most of the Arabs I know go for Layla or Laila since that is closer to the actualy Arabic if you are worried about remaining close to the origin. Hope that helps.
I pronounced it Lee-la. But that is probably because Alex's preschool teacher has a daughter named that and so I have it on the brain. It is very cute!
I first thought of "Lee-la." I'll be honest, though, I had to think about it for a minute. If I were a teacher and had her in class I would hesitate. It could also be Layla or Lila.
So which is it? :)
I looked this one up and it has three technical pronunciations: LEE-lah, LAY-lah, LYE-lah. I initially thought of the middle one because the first three letters remind me of the Hawaiian word "lei"; as your name is Hawaiian, I think that is why I made that connection. Regarding the social nature of the name, I think it is common enough that most people won't mess it up too badly. Even common names are mispelled or mispronounced. I think you should do what you feel inspired to do. There is always the flip side to names as well. Where you were tired of correcting people about your name, I got tired of being the second or even third "Katie" in my elementary school classes. It is fun to be unique, especially for girls. The name's meaning is very nice: dark haired beauty. :)
Lay-la! hands down.
but we think on the same wave length since yuri's middle name is leila too.
lol
what happened to hermione? lol
and what if it's a boy?
Nath and I both thought Lee la. Very cute either way though I like lay la too. I need to give you a call, you guys have big news!
I thought Lay-la as well. So cute! I'd been thinking about you and Emily the past couple weeks as I sit in church by myself (John just got called to the Bishopric) and I have a new awe for how well you two always did church by yourself with your kiddos (with a smile on your face even)! You're awesome!
"layla" like the eric clapton song ;-)
I love all the names you're considering - girls and boys. And good luck to you and Peter with that new, probably overwhelming calling! He'll do wonderfully, I'm sure! And you will be such a support to him! What a lucky ward to have you both!
I first read it as Leela. Only because chad has an aunt with that name and she spells it like that. Just heard of Peter's new calling! WOW! He will do an amazing job. So does that mean you will be released?
Post a Comment