Sunday, May 16, 2010

Did you know?

Today I learned what "the devil's contraption" is. I thought I would let you all know so you are forewarned.

We were walking out of our building on the way to church. I had Leila in the sling so I could have my hands free. Here's a picture of Leila in the sling a few months ago:
A couple of people were chatting outside when we walked by. The man facing me exclaimed, "I'm so glad to see you wearing your baby in a sling! I love to see that instead of pushing your baby in one of those things (he was referring to a stroller)."

Then he said something like, "I've heard people say - and I just love it - why would you push your baby in a stroller anyway? Why would you push them away from you?"

I responded by saying that I love having Leila in the sling, but she will be in a stroller before long because my back won't last if I carry her in a sling forever.

Then he said, "Well, carry her for as long as you can. Those other things (again, strollers - he seemed to have a major aversion to saying the word) are the devil's contraption." Wow. Not weapons of mass destruction? Nope, it's the stroller. Now you know!

9 comments:

Jennie and Adam said...

Wow! Good to know. I'll consider myself forewarned.

Jess said...

Spoken by a man who's never had to haul kids around all day. :) Don't tell him I have more of those devil's contraptions than I do kids!

MaryAnne said...

That picture of Leila is darling! My kids would certainly disagree with his definition of a devil's contraption - they fight over who gets to ride in the stroller!

Brandon and Sienna said...

Wow, if she isn't the cutest thing ever! I thought with a stroller you are pushing them with you not against you. what a strange character.

Emily said...

hmmm, sounds like a crazy guy to me.

Mistie said...

wow! those east coasters sure have interesting opinions about things! You never know what will come out of their mouths. funny...

Paula said...

Oh what a funny encounter! I agree that only someone who has NOT carried a child all day would make it...I love baby wearing, but there is a time for everything.

Christina said...

The devil's contraption? That is hilarious, and Leila is darling!

Katie said...

I wonder what he thinks of car seats...