Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Asher's Art

Asher drew this picture tonight. His description: "Airplane crash Hudson River. Crane pull airplane out."

This incident has made a big impact on Asher and all of us. I caught a catnap over the weekend; for the half hour I was asleep, Peter and the kids watched video footage on Youtube of the airplane being pulled out of the Hudson River. Now the first thing he says every time he wakes up is, "My see crane pull airplane out Hudson River?" I imagine part of the reason we've been talking about this so much is that we live only a mile from the Hudson River and this event is so out of the ordinary. Kaia told me this afternoon that she'd told Sara about the airplane crashing in the river. When I asked her who Sara is she said, "Sara the Triceratops." I asked her what Sara thought about it and Kaia said, "She thought everybody would have died." And really everyone on that plane had been so very close to dying. I am so impressed by the pilot, who had trained his whole career in safety procedures; then all that knowledge was put to the test in one crucial moment and the pilot succeeded beautifully. I am astounded to think about how close disaster was and yet his skill saved the lives of everyone on the plane. I think he is a great example of someone who had really internalized what he had spent his life learning so that when it really mattered he was able to use that knowledge to save lives.

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

It is really amazing how well that pilot used his knowledge, and even using all that knowledge, that everyone survived. We haven't shown Emma any video footage, but she still talks a lot about "the airplane that went swimming".

Nathan said...

That picture, awesome. Talking to Sara, hilarious. How great it is to have such a light hearted post about something that really should have been sober. What a great hero

Jess said...

Your kids are so smart. We've watched a lot of the news footage, and every time we see it Emma asks, "Go see Grandma on airplane?" I'm kind of glad she doesn't get the crash concept yet. Ah, New York...such a haven for bizarre events...

Sara said...

I was wondering if that would effect your kids in any way. He is such an artist! :) I am glad all is well.