Peter's birthday present was a bunch of camping stuff we bought at the January clearance sale at REI a couple of weeks ago. Peter and the kids have decided this is the year for us to begin camping. I'm not so sure, but I'm now outnumbered. With all the great gear we got at awesome prices, I'll probably enjoy camping as long as I can stay comfortable when I'm sleeping. It's the rocks in the middle of my back that have turned me off of camping in the past. That and I have a Dad who believes camping means staying in the Marriott. :)
Peter requested chocolate pudding for dessert. Everything was going great and it tasted wonderful until I added 1/2 t. of mint extract, as suggested by a reviewer of the recipe. All of a sudden, the pudding tasted like toothpaste. I'm not even kidding. It was disgusting. (I highly recommend the recipe; just use the suggested vanilla instead of mint.)
Thank goodness I also had an apple pie in the oven - Yummy Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie, which I can't recommend highly enough. It was amazing. And, best of all, I had a frozen pie crust in the freezer so I didn't have to try making one.
The kids didn't let Peter off the hook just because it was his birthday; in fact, they seemed especially inclined to wrestle today.

9 comments:
Happy Birthday to Peter!
Both of your desserts sound divine. I need to start buying frozen pie crust because I hate making them myself and they never turn out right either...
Tell Peter I say Happy Birthday! Props to you Maile for giving in a bit on the camping thing. I totally agree that the worst thing about camping is not being able to sleep somewhere comfortable. John actually chooses to sleep on the ground sometimes he has no idea what I am talking about.
Happy Birthday Peter! We love the card. Have fun camping this summer--maybe we could do some together?!
Happy Birthday to Peter! And this picture is adorable!
Happy Birthday Peter! Dave's birthday is tomorrow. Tell Peter he'll be 31--maybe that will make him feel better. :)
PS. Dave went through a similar mini-crisis at 30, and I totally teased him for it. I don't think 30 is bad, either--then again, I have a little more time until I'm there myself.
Happy Birthday Peter! Welcome to the 30's Club! Tee Hee. It really isn't so bad. LOL. Looks like you had a fun day and Maile there really is some nice camping spots in Pennsylvania. We've done a lot of camping since we've been here and I'd say I'm usually not too happy about camping either. Chad's rubbed off on me I guess.
Pete, I am with you man. I am not in the least bit excited for the big 3.0. Congrats on making the big step!
Oh yea, that card is AWESOME. It even looks like Grandpa!
You are so prepared. It's like on the cooking shows, you magically pull something out of the air! Maybe we should ask him what he thinks about 30 when he turns 40 in ten years! Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday Peter ... Welcome to the 30 club. When Charlie hit the milestone he swore his knees hurt and that he couldn't run like he used to. I laughed. Then I hit the 30 mark and suddenly realized I have wrinkles! Hope you can avoid the drama!!!
Post a Comment