Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Recap

I've been spending a lot less time on the computer recently. Or, more accurately, I'm rarely on the computer when I'm not holding a baby. So I have been checking e-mail and reading blogs, but I never seem to get back in a timely fashion when I have both my hands available for typing. I've also been ramping up our efforts at homeschooling, which has been filling up my days with kid-centered activities and my nights with lots of homeschooling reading.

I thought I'd do a brief recap of the happenings around here the last week or so. To my surprise, I seem to have my first thumb sucker. Leila is the first of my kids to absolutely not take a pacifier. She's only been willing to use it a handful of times so far. But she's had a couple of 8-hour stretches at night in between feedings. I think part of the reason she's been going so long is that she gets her thumb in her mouth and doesn't realize she's not actually eating. I probably would prefer her to take the pacifier instead since it would be easier to break the habit later, but she doesn't suck her thumb that often. She just doesn't love sucking as much as my other kids did.


We recently celebrated Peter's birthday. Kaia had been planning to do a World War II birthday for him for months. We just had a small celebration at home with the family, but Kaia did decorate this cake. It started out as a propeller plane, but Kaia said that was too hard so it ended up being an owl. :)


One of Kaia's favorite things to do is hold Leila and declare, "We're having Sister Time!" Asher tries to join in on the fun when he can. Kaia is making this face on purpose. She's really into posing these days.


I was feeding Leila first thing in the morning a few days ago when Asher said, "She wants her Daddy!" I said she probably didn't want her Daddy just then because he wouldn't be able to feed her. Asher replied, "Yeah, because he has small armpits."

Small armpits?! Well, that's as good a reason as any not to be able to nurse. :) I have been notoriously bad at teaching my kids the correct names of body parts, but I have tried recently to refer to them by their real names. I'll admit that I'm okay with letting Asher think (for now, at least) that "feed babies" (the term Kaia still uses) are called armpits. I have this fear that my kids will start talking about anatomy at really embarrassing times, like in the middle of church or in the grocery store or something. I did find out a day or so later what Asher thinks real armpits are called when he exclaimed, "Don't tickle my arm pickles!"

11 comments:

ashley said...

arm pickles! i LOVE it!!! three year olds have the best way of saying things!

Kristi said...

Ahhhhh, sweet little kids!!! And so funny! Hope we can see you guys sometime this year!

MaryAnne said...

I love the pictures in this post, and that's too funny about "arm pickles"! Lily is also a thumb sucker, but she doesn't do it all the time so I'm hoping it won't become a habit we have to break. I'm zero for three on pacifiers, but Emma and Johnny just didn't want anything in their mouths.

The picture of all three kids is fantastic. Emma approves of Kaia's posing ;)

lori said...

Oh, I'm glad for an update! Asher cracks me up!! And Kaia's cake! And the pictures are all darling! That little thumb sucker especially =) Glad you guys are doing well! My kids and I loved your Christmas video =) Had us all giggling (beautiful song, though!)

Naomi said...

Cute pics of your kiddies! And I love Kaia's owl cake and still laughing at Asher! He is so funny!

Rachelle said...

Kids are so funny and cute. Isaac always holds up his shirt and says "I have milk." When grandpa was visiting and tickled him, he said, "You hurt my milk."

I love your kids pictures. And your afghan turned out beautiful.

Jess said...

Emma used to "nurse" her doll at her belly button. I know I need to correct her sometime, but I'm happy to have her believing that for now! :)

Paula said...

I've had no luck with pacifiers with any of my kids. Maybe this next one...it seems the only pacifier my kiddos tolerate is ME!

Paula said...

I've had no luck with pacifiers with any of my kids. Maybe this next one...it seems the only pacifier my kiddos tolerate is ME!

Monson Family said...

I don't think I've laughed this hard in a while! I love the arm pickles!!!

Sara said...

What darling pictures. I love the blanket, it turned out beautiful. I understand the life it busy thing. I hope you have a few moments for yourself.