Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Confession

I have to confess - I am a laminating addict. I'm not talking about do-it-yourself-with-contact-paper laminating. I'm talking about using those amazing heavy duty machines that teachers use. Once I got a taste, I couldn't stop. My mind just kept thinking of new things to laminate!! I thought I'd share a few of the things I've done in case anyone else has this problem...or if anyone just wants a fun project to do. =)

First, I used my handy dandy Cricut machine to make some posters to help the kids learn Chinese. I figure I should give them a headstart.


That didn't fulfill my urge so I went over to Chocolate on My Cranium and printed out every flannel board story that she has so kindly collected. Now I have oodles of flannel board stories ready for easy Family Home Evenings (except I bought a huge magnet roll for a few dollars and put little pieces on the back of each laminated picture; we have a couple of chalkboards in the house but no flannel board - the magnets work great.).

I had one more idea I'd been wanting to make for ages and finally decided to do it for Kaia's birthday. I made her a play mail set inspired by this blog post. She sewed hers; I made mine with paper and then laminated.

I was getting desperate to find a mailbox after looking at a number of craft stores, but I finally found a wood one at A.C. Moore. Kaia helped me paint it. (You can click on any of this pictures to see them in more detail.)

I made a few postcards with stamps and velcro in a couple of places so she can personalize it - she can pick which stamp to use, who to send it to, and what little message to send (I just showed a few here to let you get an idea of what I did).

I also created a couple of letters; since they're laminated, Kaia can use erasable white board markers to write new messages over and over.


I used the laminator at a place called Lakeshore Learning; they're a chain store so maybe they have one by you! I want to say it's only $0.39 per foot to laminate there - in other words, next to nothing. I spent no more than $5 or $6 for all the laminating projects I mention in this post.

13 comments:

Jamie said...

Those are really great ideas, especially the mailbox! I am SO uncreative and would never think of something like that on my own. I want one to play with myself :)

Kristi said...

You are so adorable and creative! I love these projects....especially the mailbox! Thanks for the good ideas.

Becca said...

Great projects! I love my laminator, if you are ever in the market to have one at home ;) I use it for everything - primary, school, personal, etc. I have a xyron 900 - it's one of those things that I can't live without!

Lulu said...

you are so creative! i love all the ideas. the mail box and the idea for teaching the kids Chinese.
i'm so jealous! have fun.

Naomi said...

Seriously Maile! You've got to stop being the cutest mom ever! I'm with Jamie, your mailbox is so stinkin' adorable I want to play with one too!

Emily said...

I like how the mail set turned out! I'll have to try Lakeshore again sometime since you've said it works good for you.

MaryAnne said...

That mailbox is adorable! Thanks for the link to the flannel board story pictures - I've actually been looking for those!

Leasha said...

great idea! i might have to try this...keep the ideas coming! :)

lori said...

What fun ideas! You are a brilliant mother! I love reading about your family!

Mistie said...

what a fun idea. i love all the activities and things you do for your kids...i need to get more back in the swing of doing those things. They'll probably always remember them! And honestly, already learning Chinese?! Your kids are both going to be smart ones! Multiple languages really are so great for them this early. Good for you!

Erica said...

Yeah, I need to stop reading your blog. Could you get any more perfect?? Maybe you should adopt my children.

Jess said...

What a cool play mail set! Definitley better than those pre-fab ones they sell. I love how she can personalize her mail!

Anonymous said...

such cute ideas! The mailbox turned out great. THanks for sharing your secrets, i may just have to copy some of them. Oh and p.s. my friend told me you can buy a personal laminator to use in your home for less than $100.