Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bikes

Since Kaia will be 4.5yo next month and has never owned a bike, we figured it was time to head down to R.E.I. (of course :) last weekend to get the kids some bikes. But it seemed like cruel and unusual punishment that Monday arrived with weather too cold to go outside. So I improvised...I pulled out some wood pieces, which the kids usually use as balancing beams, and created "stationary" bikes that they could ride in the house (I love that the wheels are still so clean since they haven't been ridden outside yet).

Using this system is helping Asher learn to pedal better since he just wasn't catching on when he was trying to ride the bike normally. Do any of you with kids who can ride bikes have other suggestions for getting the younger ones started? I can already envision Kaia taking off while Asher's moving like a snail. :)

12 comments:

Emily said...

It's just practice makes perfect. My kids learned pretty quick on the trike and now they both love the big boy bikes.

MaryAnne said...

No advice, but I love the way you improvised stationary bikes for them!

Jennie and Adam said...

I had never thought to do stationary bikes--what a great idea! My best advice is to go to an area that is somehow enclosed (with a fence or something) so that Kaia can get moving, but not get totally ahead of you while you work with Asher. Have fun!

Monson Family said...

I love that Asher is wearing his helmet on his stationary bike!!!

Kristi said...

So cute!! Glad you got them some bikes for the summer.....good idea to have them ride in the house for now!

Johanna said...

oh my gosh that is such an awesome idea. you go maile. unfortunately i have no advice since we can't get ez to peddle well either.

Elizabeth said...

I love your fun and creative ideas! You are such a great Mommy!

Grammadebs said...

I will tell you that kids that can balance a scooter don't even need the training wheels...they just take off on the bike! it is wierd, but it has happened with the last 3 grandkids who had a scooter first...it's all in the balance, I guess?...but i think you should have the stationary bikes forever and just put a video on of landscapes where they think they are going places....lol
very ingenious!

Lulu said...

That is a great idea...to put them on wood beams. it's a great way to practice w/ them and get them comfortable w/ the bikes.

Jess said...

What a brilliant idea to make stationary bikes! The kids look adorable and I hope the weather warms up soon!

gretchen said...

What a great idea! I'll have to remember that one . . .

Christina said...

Cool mom! Maybe instead of buying an exercise bike, I should just get training wheels??