Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Kids Had a Good Day


I don't know what got into my kids today, but they had FUN! (Notice the use of "they" instead of "we." :) They pretty much got into everything it was possible to get into. Let's start with this first picture. They started out playing trains. (As a side note, you'll notice Asher is wearing underpants! We've resorted to good old bribery - we bought a Thomas the Tank Engine that goes by itself. Every day he gets it once he's gone potty in the toilet and put his underwear on. Then, if he pees anywhere except in the toilet, Thomas goes up in the closet until the next day. It's working remarkably well.) The kids were having a really good time playing trains...until Kaia decided to climb under the crib to play Snow White (and she just had to push out the diaper boxes filled with clothes they've grown out of). I'm not quite sure why the crib had to be pushed a few feet away from the wall. She also felt it necessary to remove tons of wipes from their bags in the left part of the screen; her explanation was that she had to make a wall so we wouldn't see her sleeping there. Although the kids did make quite the mess, I was really happy that they played together so nicely and independently, and they were really good at helping to clean up before bedtime. Shocking!


Here Kaia is "flying" off the bed in her space ship; today we've been Chinese cat astronauts!


This last picture is actually from yesterday. Kaia built her own house under the dining room table. Yesterday she proceeded to move all the things she holds dear to her heart into her house. I think it's telling to see what items those are - her favorite rainbow dress, her entire box of underwear and socks, her beloved "Sticky"?? But I was tired of it being there every time I sat down to a meal, so I told her that she needed to pick it up. She was really dragging her feet last night and declared: "My heart is just going to break!" I told her if it wasn't picked up by the time dinner was over, she would not get to be a part of storytime. Just as dinner was ending, she announced, "I'm so tired I could go to bed right now. No time for stories!" If she couldn't be a part of it, of course she didn't want Asher to be either. Asher got his stories and we moved into today with no sign of her house being cleaned. Kaia was informed that if she did not clean up her house, she would get to stay in her room with the door closed while Asher watched a movie. She said, "I don't want to clean." Finally I had to explain that if she chose not to clean today, I would gather all her things in bags and remove from the house to give to someone else who would put them away. Her biggest worry? "I will miss my rainbow dress so much!" That was the catalyst she needed and she picked the whole thing up (actually, she got Asher to do most of the work for her!).

12 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Kaia is hilarious. I love her comment about her heart breaking, and I'm impressed she got Asher to do most of the cleanup for her.

Your potty training strategy sounds brilliant to me - solves the problem of having a kid who doesn't "do" potty charts. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I have to face potty training (or if Emma starts regressing - I sure hope she doesn't!)

Johanna said...

That's too funny. I really too am impressed how Kaia got Asher to do a lot of the work. We used to get my brother Ben to do stuff for us by telling him that his friend Adam would do it for his sisters and that he would do it faster than Ben could. Then he would do it and insist we time him. Oh boys.

Brittany said...

I just love reading your stories--Kaia and Asher are so cute and so hilarious. We miss you guys! Let's talk soon and plan to get together.

Brandon and Sienna said...

Wow I miss them so much. Asher's hair is getting so dark. It's like Kaia is 4 going on 16, taking after her amazing aunt!

Naomi said...

Kaia cracks me up! I love her heartbreaking comment and having Asher do most of the work, very impressive.

Kristi said...

I do love it when they play but I SO hate the mess!! Such funny kids!

Sara said...

When it is cold outside, it is nice to be creative inside. I don't think your kids have any problem with that category. They look like they had a great time. What a nice Mom to let them create.

Stacey Mom said...

Kia is such a crack-up. I love all the funny things she comes up with. I need her creativity to rub off on Ella again, we need to get together.!

lori said...

Oh, kids! What would we do without them (besides have clean houses =) Love the creativity!

Erica said...

What fun kids...and fabulous mommy. Looks like a good to me!!

Monson Family said...

You are such a good mom! What a fun couple of days your kids had!

Monson Family said...

You are such a good mom! What a fun couple of days your kids had!