Monday, May 4, 2009

Help!

I need advice from any moms who have been there done that. Asher has recently discovered that the most fascinating word in the English language is (apparently) "poop." Case in point - the kids were taking a bubble bath recently. Kaia was pretending the bubbles were ice cream and she said, "My arms are covered in ice cream!" Asher then yelled, "My arms are covered in poop!" I had to hide my laughs so as not to encourage him.

This is where I need advice. So far my philosophy has been to just ignore him saying poop in general, as long as he's not calling someone else poop. So saying "triceratops poo poo" is ignored but if he says Kaia's name is "Poop" then he's disciplined. First question: is it best to ignore the use of the word in the former situation or should I be addressing that as well? Second question: does anyone have any methods of discipline they recommend for name calling? This is the first time I can remember having to deal with it.

5 comments:

Christina said...

I'm not a mom, but I have a team of people at work that I need to rescript on a regular basis. Rescripting means that I say, "did you mean . . . ?" or "I think you meant . . ." or (with my boss) "do you mean . . . ?" Either way, you take the objectionable word or phrase and replace it with something more positive. Even grown ups need help being positive and acting right, but have a hard time finding those words when they are in the Zone.

I get varying results, and sometimes (LOL) they say, "no, I meant . . . !!!"

Replacing "poop" with a more appropriate word may or may not help, but at least he hears your positive spin.

Good luck!

Kristi said...

I choose to ignore it when Alex does it. As long as he doesn't call anyone a poop or the like. If he does, I just explain it's not polite and if he doesn't listen he gets a time-out. It's worked fairly well.

Sara said...

Boys have a vocabulary all their own and it seems they think the funniest words are those very words that you don't want them to say! If you get any advice, I would love to have it as well! I have heard advice from many tried solutions...everything from soap to sit on the potty for "potty talk" My favorite on is this one, I tell them "you may hear those words from other people but the Christensen or the Smith family doesn't say those words."

Naomi said...

LOL, I am definately no expert in this as my son's latest saying is "Stinky bum, bum". Nice! A keep telling him it is rude and not to say it and we really aren't getting anywhere. I do notice that the time he says it is when we are around other people and he's getting a laughing reaction which is exactly what he wants. so do I scold the adults as well as Ethan? Anyhoo, I really like Christina's comment. I'll have to try that.

Emily said...

It's not just boys...Anne likes that word, only she says "poot", but I guess she actually only says that when she is "pooty". :) My boys haven't done a lot of that, but they do a lot of the strange and unpleasant noises that boys make that don't sound very nice. I tell them that it's not a very good example for their little sister and it is continues they get some quiet time. I think all boys go through those phases though. Good luck!