Monday, November 30, 2009

Baby Blessing

Yesterday I came across this quote in the Ensign by President Hinckley: "There is no substitute under the heavens for productive labor. Is is the process by which dreams become realities. It is the process by which idle visions become dynamic achievements."

I thoroughly enjoy productive labor. One of the women from our ward (church congregation) feels the same. When I was called as the Relief Society president earlier this year, she stopped me in the hall at church and said, "Your first job is to let me know all of the women in the ward who are pregnant so I can make a gift for them." Vilma shares her talents of crocheting, knitting, and sewing to make beautiful gifts for the smallest new members of the ward. When Vilma learned that we had a girl, she crocheted a beautiful dress, bonnet, and booties for her to wear for her baby blessing. This outfit is so well made I can see it being in our family for generations!



Here's Vilma holding Leila (as you can see, Leila was sacked out throughout the blessing and the next 2 hours of church).

14 comments:

Brandon and Sienna said...

She is so cute, I can't wait to hold her, rock her and love her!

Naomi said...

Vilma's work always amazes me. Boy, do I miss her and our ward! Beautifal baby there Maile!

Lulu said...

That dress is so adorable! Vilma did a great job!
And Leila is such a sweet baby!

Jess said...

Vilma is so talented. Both she and baby Leila look great! Tell her hi for me!

Paula said...

What a beautiful dress! I have a crocheted baby dress made by my mother's grandmother for her when she was a baby--it is beautiful. We used it for E's baby blessing, even though it is yellow not white.

Christina said...

Go Vilma! She looks great, and what a little cutie Leila is.

rebecca said...

She is beautiful, Maile!!! She definitely looks like you!!!

Mistie said...

WOW!! Love the dress. She did an amazing job!
And she looks great and healthy...and her hair is darker.
So fun to remember the days of JC!

Rachelle said...

Absolutely beautiful.

lori said...

Beautiful! (the handwork and the BABY! That sleeping face! Oh my word!)

Katie said...

What a treasure! I'm sure that dress will be a family heirloom.

Sara said...

Oh that is so so sweet, what an angel, both of them! What a special day to remember.

gretchen said...

What a beautiful dress and a beautiful baby! Vilma is such a kind woman--she knited the sweetest outfit for Scott. I love and miss that ward so much!

MaryAnne said...

What a beautiful outfit!