Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has come and gone and Hermie is still inside! To be honest, I'm completely surprised this baby will not have an October birthday. I really thought he/she was going to be born early (just 5 days to go until the due date!). I had really wanted a Halloween baby when I was pregnant with Kaia but was then relieved when she was born October 23 instead. This time I really did not want a Halloween baby. I told Hermie on Friday night, "Baby, if you choose to be born tomorrow, just remember that you will have to live with that decision for the rest of your life." I'm totally fine with Hermie still being inside, as long as I don't go overdue! My mom will arrive on Tuesday, and I'll be glad to have the help.

Halloween preparations have kind of taken the back burner this year. We did finally carve a pumpkin according to Kaia's original design:


On to trick-or-treating...

Our kids were thrilled to finally wear their costumes for the real Halloween. We went to a parade in the neighboring town, followed by some trick-or-treating along the main street. We only made it one block of trick-or-treating when Kaia exclaimed, "We have so much candy - this is GREAT!" They each had about a dozen pieces at this point. They were happy calling it quits, so we headed back to the car. I had told the kids not to eat too much of their candy yet since we also had a ward party that afternoon. Kaia's response was, "I know! Why don't we each eat 3 pieces of candy and then save the rest?" And that's exactly what she did. I was very impressed by her self-control.

I was feeling like I should try to be a little more festive than I had been in recent weeks, so I had the kids help me make Halloween sugar cookies for our ward party on Halloween night. I was inspired by this guest post by my friend Lori on the blog Bloom. I have to admit that this turned out to be way more of a project than I had anticipated, but I was rather pleased that the sugar cookies turned out soft and delicious!

Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture before these were saran wrapped, and then I learned that saran wrap and sticky frosting do not bode well for all those time intensive designs. They still tasted great!


We had the face painting crayons out so Kaia could get Native American designs on her cheeks. She took it upon herself to draw a propellor plane on Peter's cheek. She knows that he loves World War II, so she's already begun planning his World War II birthday party!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Yikes, 5 days to go. I hope for your sake you don't go over either and that your mom makes it there in time. If you want my opinion (which I don't know why you would cause I don't like it when people tell me what to name my baby either,haha), but I think your baby is going to be a boy and Jeff and I think you should pick Cole, cause we think Cole Christensen sounds like a cool name. :)

brighton quinn said...

I am so excited for you to have Hermie! I love reading your blog and, without fail, every time we read it Jordy and I end up with the biggest smiles on our faces. We love you and your wonderful family. Kaia and Asher are so DARLING! Tell Peter that face tat looks cool. He should think about making it more permanent ...
p.s. you don't even look pregnant! can't wait to meet Hermie...

Lulu said...

like the pics! glad you guys had a good halloween. let me know if you need anything, even if you're mom is here.
see ya soon.

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun Halloween for your sweet family:) I love Kaia's self control!!!! I'm thinking of you this and praying your labor and delivery go very quickly and smoothly:) Love you!

Unknown said...

This is Rebecca, not Keith:)

lori said...

WWII birthday party? That made me laugh our loud. Kaia cracks me up! And you're right - the cookies are a huge project! (hence the plug for halloween oreos at the end of that post =) But yours turned out great! I especially love the spider webs!

Glad the kiddos had a happy halloween! I'm so anxious for news about the little one! I hold my breath every time I see a new post!

Naomi said...

Your kids looked so cute for Halloween. We really missed Hoboken this year (I'm assuming that's the parade you went to). During our Idaho trick-or-treating we kept mentioning how much it lacked halloween decor in comparison to Hoboken and how much we missed it. Sounds like you had a great time and the cookies looked great!

Katie said...

Can we come to the WWII party? Cute costumes this year! The cookies look yummy! I'm glad that Hermie didn't arrive for Halloween but now I can't wait for his/her arrival. :) Good luck and tell your mom hi!

Christina said...

Cute costumes, come on Hermie and WWII birthday party? Can't wait!

Sara said...

What a fun Halloween for your family, I love the crayon art work. I hope we hear some good news soon!

MaryAnne said...

Kaia's pumpkin looks great, and your cookies are super cute! I love Kaia's airplane on Peter's cheek.

Here's hoping that Hermie has made his/her arrival by now...