Saturday, March 22, 2008

Before & After

About 4 1/2 years ago, when we first moved to New Jersey, we went on a major shopping spree at IKEA since we moved out here with only what would fit in our car. IKEA was a great way to inexpensively furnish our apartment, but a lot of things are beginning to wear down. Our kitchen table and chairs in particular, the IKEA $119 special, had gotten so bad that every time we sat on one of the chairs we wondered if they'd finally break into pieces. And I've gotten very lazy recently about keeping the kids from making messes on them. Our latest adventure in egg dying helped add some special turqoise embellishments to the table:

Just this week I learned from a friend of mine about a furniture warehouse that opens to the public occasionally, selling their furniture at warehouse prices. Another friend and I went today and I found a beautiful new table and 6 chairs. We are so excited to have a beautiful new set...now the trick will be retraining the kids that a table isn't meant to be colored on.

12 comments:

Becca said...

Beautiful - I'll have to get that information from you. Chris bought our table for me for my bridal shower and it was perfect for about a year until we moved into our first home and the friends we had helping us move scrapped the tabletop as they were bringing it through the front door - nicely gouged but we've made do :) It would be nice to have something nice. We're also looking into new living room furniture - do they have that too?

Maile said...

They didn't have couches; basically all the furniture they sell is wood. They had exquisite pieces - coffee tables, armoires, benches, and other cabinets. If I had limitless $$ and space to put things =) I would have gone crazy!

Jess said...

Love the table! Looks great!

Jenn said...

Ooh! So pretty! I'm still dreaming of the day that we get to buy furniture from a "real" furniture store. That, to me, is the signal that you have arrived. This table looks like arrival to me!

Kristina said...

Wouldn't it be nice to one day have furniture that last,but when you have little ones I don't think it's possible, but hey I think it's better to let them have the fun then worry about keeping everything so nice, or maybe that i've just giving up keeping things to nice. I can't believe how big your kids are getting, don't they just grow to fast.

Erica said...

That table is awesome! I showed it to Allen and told him we needed to go to the warehouse to get a new table and coffee table and countless other things. He told me to get off of your blog. Crap.

Addy said...

Um, I'm a little embarassed here . . . did you happen to put your old table and chairs out in the garbage because we took some IKEA chairs out of the garbage on Sunday? That would be really funny if they were yours. The new set looks great!

Maile said...

Addy, those were our chairs. I am laughing hysterically that you guys took them! Sometime on Sunday Peter told me that the chairs were already gone - but we thought someone off the street may have taken them. I'm glad you guys got them. Just beware...they're a little shaky after 4+ years of use. =)

Katie said...

Congrats on the new table and chairs! They are lovely! As we shop for houses, I'm starting to think about how I want to finally have grown-up funiture instead of assemble-yourself-buy-it-at-target-or-ikea-for-a-great-deal-to-watch-it-fall-apart furniture. NC is the furniture capital of the world, so I guess we are in luck!

Sara said...

Who doesn't like new furniture! It looks so nice in your home! Now what's the next purchase, when you have the taste of something new it gets addictive!

Liz Stanley said...

beautiful. was it expensive????

Naomi said...

Love the chairs and table you picked out. They look great in your place!