Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bye bye, binkie!

So my sister is complaining once again that I haven't posted frequently enough. =) Sorry, we just haven't had much going on in our lives right now besides normal life - which is fun but not always bloggable. And I'm taking an on-line scrapbooking class right now from Big Picture Scrapbooking, which is pretty much soaking up all my free time right now - but definitely worth it!

Anyway, we decided this was the week to help Asher get rid of his pacifier. Our pediatrician has been bugging us about it since he was a year old and we always had a good excuse not to get rid of it - like 17 hour plane rides. Then he grew really attached to his binkie for a while and I envisioned that he would have it for the next 10 years. Recently he's started backing off of it again so we figured we might as well get rid of it before he became ferociously attached again. I was planning to wait until Tuesday to get rid of it because Peter would be putting the kids to bed while I went to book club. =) But then on Monday Asher threw his bink between the wall and the side of our bed, so I would have had to move our whole bed to get it. I put him down for a nap, which just did not happen. Then I found a pink bink - tell me, why do they package pink pacifiers with boy colors like orange and green? - that I gave him for nap round 2. He still wouldn't go to sleep so I decided to cut the tip off the pink bink and see if that would convince him to get rid of it. He just smiled through the bink and finally went to sleep. Every day I've been cutting a little bit more off the tip of the bink so it's getting pretty small. I was starting to think this was just a ridiculous idea and I was wondering why we were even getting rid of it in the first place because he was waking up early in the morning and having crying spells in the middle of the night. But now we've started to have some payoff - he slept all night last night without his bink - and he never even woke up all night, which is unusual for him. And I just put him down for his nap with no pacifier at all and he went to sleep without crying. Yeah!!

I tried to get an artistic type photo of the bink and Ash - the tip is cut off this bink but you can't really tell in the picture - and the artistic part didn't really work with my pretty basic digital photo; I wish I could have had the bink in focus and him out of focus or vice versa. Anyway, Asher was really mad and wouldn't even look at me:


On a different note, Asher's figured out how to ask for those things we can't say no to. For example, right as Peter's walking out the door to go to work, Asher urgently calls out: "Ki(ss)!! Ki(ss)! Hu(g)!" (The ss's and g are in parentheses because he says the words like you normally would but without the ending consonant sounds.) How could anyone resist that? His other favorite is to fold his arms randomly throughout the day and say "Pair!" (prayer). I can't say no to that one either so we've been saying a lot of prayers recently.

4 comments:

Brandon and Sienna said...

Thank you for the wonderful post!! It made my day before I have to go to a long boring day at work. I hope I get to see your children soon.

Naomi said...

Good luck with the binky saga. Hope you don't have too many sleepless nights. And since you mentioned your online scrapbook class I'll mention that I really wanna see more of your finished pages! I love seeing them.

Kristi said...

Good for you being strong with the binky! Keep it up! Cute kids Maile!

Erica said...

Is he completely off the binkie? Actually don't tell me. And really don't tell Allen. I am not emotionally prepared to remove Linley's. It will be like removing a rib.