Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Compelling Reason

A while back I posted about my trip into New York City that took 2 1/2 hours and I said I would have to have a very compelling reason to ever want to go back in again. Well, soon after that post I learned what my compelling reason would be - Magnolia's Bakery opened up a new shop near the temple. We were rarely down by their West Village location, but their new location is near Central Park and Zabar's. So after I learned of their new location, I just needed to wait for our good friends Katie, Chris, and kids to come. Katie has been one of my best friends since high school, and I love that we still keep in touch and see each other from time to time with our kids.


Tell me you wouldn't do just about anything to get ahold of one of these beauties. I stuffed myself beyond all reason finishing Asher's...and Kaia's. =)


Then we spent some time enjoying one of the playgrounds in Central Park. Asher is a nervous nellie, but Kaia had a blast.



Both Asher and Kaia loved our friends' baby, Rowan. Kaia said dozens of times, "Mom, he is such a cute baby! He is just so cute!" And Asher loved giving him kisses, more than Rowan liked receiving them!



A cute little hug (notice Kaia's arms reaching for Rowan):

11 comments:

Naomi said...

Ummmm, Yummmmm! Maile, your making me really want to head into the city just to get a cupcake. Did you really have to take a picture and tempt me this morning! LOL.

Erica said...

Mmmmhhh. It has been wayyy to long since I have had me a Magnolia cupcake. Allen was wondering where Peter was today. Lucky duck. What a fun day you guys had! I am glad the frosting turned out good for you! I miss seeing your face lady!!

Kristi said...

Magnolia IS so good.....BUT I have a new cupcake cookbook that Andy bought me that has produced (so far) 3 cupcakes that are WAY better than Magnolia! So, I suggest picking up the book and making your own. The chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting was heavenly!

Jenn said...

Yum Yum! Thanks for spreading the word. It might just motivate us to get to the temple one more time before we move! Magnolia's is a beautiful place . . . one of my favorite things about NYC!

Maile said...

Kristi, I'm afraid I'm all about vanilla with vanilla frosting - no chocolate on my cupcakes, thank you very much! I leave those for Peter.

Carma said...

Which playground is the best one in Central Park? From the pictures, it doesn't look like the one we usually (well, if we are ever there) go to.

brighton quinn said...

Maile: Magnolia Bakery is celestial desert town USA! Have you tried their banana pudding? I dare say it is the best I have ever had and even though I am not much of a pudding enthusiast, I crave it sometimes! If ever I am in New York I can never decide between a cupcake or pudding! Both so yummy!
Also- I love making cupcakes maybe I will get to make some for you guys when you're out in Utah!

Maile said...

Carma, this playground is really fun because it's really big. It's very close to Colombus circle - right inside the park on the SW side.

Brighton, we actually got a thing of banana pudding to share, too. Holy cow!! It is absolutely amazing! I actually have the recipe from the cookbook put out by the owner of Magnolia's and it even turned out great when I make it. I saw your cupcakes on your blog and they were gorgeous! When I make them, they taste good but they're not very pretty.

Sara said...

Those cupcakes look absolutely heavenly! We missed going there last summer! Our loss! It was fun to see some familiar faces in your neck of the woods. I am glad Chris and Katie and fam got to come visit! Yeah for friends!

Brandon and Sienna said...

I really can't wait to see how cute Kaia and Asher will be with my little one, too bad we don't live closer!!

Swanky Mommy said...

We got so lost trying to find the new location! AH NUTS. Thanks again so much for letting us stay with you. We had so much fun!