Monday, June 2, 2008

Before & After

I've had a few conversations with different people recently about scrapbooking. These have caused me to reflect on the process I've gone through to become the scrapbooker I am today. This post is not meant to brag or anything like that, and I know I have a LONG way to go and still have a lot to learn, but for any of you out there who think you could never scrapbook but might want to, I thought I would post a picture of the first page I scrapbooked since I took it up after having kids and then my most recent page. I thought I was getting pretty fancy by printing out the little title:
The next 2 pictures are of my most recent page. I thought I would also describe the process I went through to get to where I am now. After I did the above page, I took a break from actually scrapbooking and become somewhat obsessive about checking out book after book from the library. I would read them as if I was studying for an exam - but the funnest exam I've ever taken! - as I would absorb layouts, color combos, etc. I would scrapbook a page here and there over about a year as I just let scrapbooking ideas infiltrate my mind. Now it comes so much easier. I still look through magazines and books for ideas, but I can come up with my own ideas, too. And I'm becoming aware of what my style is - and what is definitely not my style. The layout looks much better in person than in the pictures below, but you can get the idea of how much my scrapbooking has changed.


And a note about this 2nd layout - the title is meant facetiously! I'm talking about how many New Yorkers seem to think New York is the center of the universe, and how (unintentionally) I've developed a (very) little bit of this attitude myself. I wanted to capture those feelings on a page.

One more thing I want to say about scrapbooking: I'm sure everyone has their different motivations for scrapbooking. It's taken me a while to realize what mine are. I LOVE stories - I have since I was a little kid. President Monson was always my favorite speaker in General Conference because of all the stories he told. Now those are the scrapbooking pages I feel compelled to make - the ones that tell the little, the funny, even the sad stories of our lives - the ones I don't want to forget but probably would without making a record of them. I could just write them in my journal, but I find it much more gratifying and fun to look at to put the stories on beautiful pages.

Thanks for indulging my long monologue!! The online scrapbooking class I've been taking has really reaffirmed to me just how much I love this hobby!

10 comments:

Jess said...

I liked reading about your evolution as a scrapper. I'm going to have to come over and look at your albums soon to check out your more recent pages...

Erica said...

So if my current scrapbooking pages look way worse than your befores and I've been doing this for 4 years, should I consider myself a lost cause?
I love that you have a hobby you are so passionate about. I should find something like that in my life. Besides shoes. People don't respenct shoe shopping as a hobby. Bah humbugs.

Maile said...

Not even true, Erica. I've seen your scrapbooks and they are cute!

Brittany said...

Hey! Long time no chat! We definitely didn't do enough scrapbooking together when I was there. (Did we even do ANY, or did we just talk about it?!) I want to hear more about your online class. Let's talk soon!

Swanky Mommy said...

I still need to steal all of your ideas! I will e-mail that picture of Asher and Laney hugging--SO cute. And yeah, I do digital scrapbooking for my blog--it's mostly just stuff thrown together, but it's a quick and easy way to blog. :)

Hotzebra said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog till I saw your comment on Joshs blog. Your family is So cute and you are So talented at scrapbooking! It's fun to see what is going on in everyones lives!

brighton quinn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brighton quinn said...

these are so cute! your mom and I are so excited to video chat with you and your family tonight... it will almost be like i am meeting you! I guess we can call it an official e-meeting!!!

Ms. Read said...

Maile - I just saw you took the Jane Austen quiz and said you found it on my blog!! That's so fun. I got it from Heidi, my daughter-in-law. We are all anxious to meet you. My husband, Eric, and I enjoyed meeting and talking with your Dad in merry olde England from 11:30-1:30 in the A.M.!! Soon I will meet your Mom. I think Brighton said you would be here this summer - is that right? Then we'll get to meet you and cute family too. Ha! Your family looks very fun and I love talking to your mom. Brighton says she is a combo of acutally, me, and Brighton and my other daughter, Chelsea. I think Brighton and Jordan look like siblings!

Naomi said...

Maile your scrapbooking looks great. I remember when i started scrapbooking before Ethan was even born and after about a year gave up. I kept finding myself looking at the finished pages and wanting to redo them all over again. You definately have a talent and patience for it. Great job!