Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Movie Star

I was reorganizing pictures last night when I came across these 2 from almost 2 years ago:


At the time, Kaia seemed so grown up and as cool as a movie star. She certainly had the same independent mind then that she has now. She had insisted that she wear the tights over her pants, and she had to have her sunglasses on. It really surprises me that she's younger in these pictures than Asher is now, but she seemed so mature to me at the time. First children seem more grown up, I guess. But now looking back she seems more of a baby in these pictures than a girl. She's definitely all girl now...and she knows her own mind just as well now as then.

A few other stories from recently so my sister will have something to read when she checks every day: I was recently scrolling through pictures on the computer when Asher spotted a picture of my brother Jordan and yelled out "Jor!" (he calls him by the first syllable of his name). He was insistent that I let him get a good look at Jordan's picture. Then a couple days later I was talking to Jordan on the phone and asked Asher if he wanted to talk to Jordan. His reply: "Yeah! Jor! Jor! Hu(g)! Ki(ss)!" So Jordan earns the distinction of being the first family member Asher names and the only person he's ever wanted to hug and kiss over the phone.

Kaia has long loved to tell me she has a secret to tell me; the secret she whispers into my ear is always the same: "If you sleep in your bed all night, you can have a special treat in the morning!" Can you tell we've tried bribery? So she was whispering this to me today and Asher decided he wanted to tell me a secret too. He whispered a bunch of gibberish in my ear followed by "Treat!" Then he would giggle, giggle, giggle. They took turns telling me this secret about a dozen times. In honor of their secret, we did make rice krispie treats after dinner tonight - how could I resist such cuteness?

On a recent drive in the car, the kids and I made up a song. We were singing "Grandma who, grandma you!" I asked Kaia if she is a grandma. She replied: "No, I'm a daughter, but I'm going to be a mom soon!" For some time now, she has been "expecting" the arrival of her baby "Flower Garden." I'm not sure where she came up with this name, but she is sure she will name her baby Flower Garden. She thinks Sienna, my sister who is expecting a boy, should name her baby either "Little cute baby" or "Baby giraffe." She will not be getting naming rights the next time we are expecting. =)

Last week I was putting new sheets on my bed and I had a feeling the kids were going to come over and start playing in the sheets. My first instinct was to tell them to go play with something else while I made the bed. Then I had a mental scene play out in my head of me in 20 years putting sheets on my bed in utter silence because my kids will be grown. I imagined myself thinking fondly back to the days when giggles filled the air, and I decided to let the kids just play. I'm so glad I did. They had such a fun time playing peek-a-boo in the sheets:

4 comments:

Brandon and Sienna said...

thank you maile for posting it makes my day to see your beautiful children and your fun stories. I can't wait for Florida. At least I know a lot about Disney to bribe Kaia.

rebecca said...

Your kids are soooo cute, Maile!! I just found your blog through Sienna's who I found through Aunt Debi's. Small world in the blog world, huh :) Email me at rebecca.lutter@gmail.com and I'll invite you to my blog and then you can find my sisters through that :)

Kristi said...

Such cute stories and pictures. I looked through some pictures of Kaia and Samantha when they were like 11 months old and it was so sad! They're all grown up now.

Erica said...

Love it!!