Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Busy Day

We haven't had a Sunday this busy in quite a while. When I say we I mostly mean Peter. He was up and out the door shortly after 6 am for early meetings. He spoke in a different ward in our stake in the morning, then he taught Elder's Quorum in a different branch, then he attended the last couple hours of church in our building. After rushing home to get dinner, he headed back to church for another meeting and he's still there now. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful husband who so willingly serves other people.

(I was just interrupted while writing this by the sound of something hitting my window. As it turns out, a couple of young kids were throwing a pop bottle up and hitting our window. At first when I spoke with them I was angry, but I quickly calmed down and tried to help them understand that it's just not a good idea to start that type of behavior at such a young age. I said, "I don't want to be angry with you. I just want you to understand that doing this type of thing is not smart." The older one apologized and said, "I'll just go throw this away." Life in the 'hood...)

Back to the story of our day...this morning I had just put Asher in his bed to read books and play while I hopped in the shower. Kaia was busy coloring and making little books. As I was showering, I heard our home phone ring once. I thought it was someone in the ward. Almost immediately after I heard the phone ring again and I thought, That must be Peter. He got lost looking for the ward he's supposed to speak in. Then someone called a third time and I KNEW it was Peter.

Here's a little bit of background. Technically speaking, Peter is a good driver. He sticks even closer to the speed limit and follows other driving laws better than I do. However, he is AWFUL at finding places, particularly when they involve Mapquest or Googles Map. We could both look for directions to the same place and get completely different directions, mine being right of course. =) Somehow the directions he'd printed off last night to the ward he was going to were wrong. Here's a summarized transcript of his phone messages: "Maile this is an emergency, please pick up the phone. Please pick up one of your phones. Maile, if you can hear this, I need you to please pick up the phone."

Peter really is a very calm person most of the time so I make the most of the times when he's stressed out since we are in opposite roles far more frequently. He actually has gotten a lot better about being calm when he's lost. I just think it's pretty funny that I almost immediately knew it was him and knew exactly why he was calling! We eventually got him to the building and he was able to tie the story about him getting lost into his talk with spiritual applications!

This is a completely different story. I needed to do a spotlight about one of the kids in Primary. I hadn't planned ahead very well, so I decided to spotlight Kaia since it would be easy for me to get the answers about her! In Primary, I was describing her for the kids to guess who it was: "This person was born in Teaneck. This person has blue eyes and brown hair. This person's favorite color is turquoise." At this point, Kaia's hand shot straight up in the air and she exclaimed, "I know who it is! It's me!" I asked her, "How do you know it's you?" to which she responded, "I don't know." She was positively beaming throughout the rest of my descriptions of her and as kids gathered around to see her "something unique" about her - her strange fused teeth. She was really adorable. I tried to get a picture of her in her turquoise dress, but she fled to her favorite place these days - under the kitchen sink:

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm still amazed at how easy getting around Utah is. We laugh all the time about how hard it is to drive and find things in Jersey. I feel for ya Peter!!

Katie said...

You guys are so amazing! Maybe it is better that Peter takes public transportation to work. :) Driving in Jersey is hard, though, so it is totally understandable.