Let me first give some background. I have long known that Asher, when he's in one of his sweet moods, is irresistible. He's recently begun telling me at random times, "You boo-ti-ful, Mommy!" I was twitterpated all day the first time he said that! Another time recently, I was sitting by him and he said, "Kiss me, Mom!" After a kiss, Asher exclaimed, "My love you!" Oh, boy, was my heart a-flutter after that one. :) Well, Kaia has begun to fall under his spell, at least at bed time when they're supposed to be going to sleep. A week or so ago, we went in to find 20 books on the floor next to Asher's bed - Asher had apparently been asking Kaia for books, so she gave him one after another that he read (in the dark). We threatened to shut the door (the ultimate threat for Kaia), so she stopped giving him books. But we still hear her telling him dinosaur stories and she told me that she's climbed into bed to help him put his pants back on (not sure why they were off in the first place??) and to pull his blanket up over him. If we try to tell Asher he doesn't need anymore water in his sippy cup, she is his advocate, "It's okay, Mom/Dad. He can have more water. Really." This was all pretty cute - I like that they're buddy-buddy at these times - but it was starting to take a toll in terms of the sleep deprivation it was causing. I didn't let Asher nap on Monday so that he would go right to sleep, which he did at 6:45. Kaia was put to bed shortly after 7:00, so by the time they both woke up around 7:30 yesterday morning, they'd both had a great night's sleep.
So back to the title of this post...Kaia woke up yesterday morning the chipperest thing I'd ever seen! And I woke up to her saying, "I'm making a cake for you, Mom! A birthday cake!" When I asked her why she thought it was my birthday she said, "I saw the invitation that it's your birthday today." It wasn't my birthday yesterday, but the kids were having a blast mixing sugar and water and who knows what else to make my cake.
I LOVE this picture - isn't it crazy?!

Mixing the frosting:

Following are some of the highlights of our conversation during this experience:
*Kaia: Do you want to help along with me, Mom, making my cake? Oops! I mixed up my words. I meant to say making
your cake?
*Kaia: You're going to be such a good helper, Mom.
*Me: You got a good night's sleep, didn't you?
Kaia: Yeah, I'm not going to do anything wrong today.
*Kaia: I'm being so nice to you today, Mom. I'm going to kiss you all day!
*Asher (about the frosting): That be boo-ti-ful!
Then the kids were nice enough to sing happy birthday to me. Watch carefully...right after they finish singing Kaia literally spits on the "cake" to put the candles out.
9 comments:
They crack me up! And they're totally smart. You *are* a good helper, and frosting certainly is boo-ti-ful, especially if it's chocolate. :)
Love the spitting on the cake . . . and that she knew what she was doing - not accidental :)
i like how in that second picture it looks like kaia suddenly grew a large chest overnight. then i figured out, it was her knees inside her shirt. funny.
Peter commented on her large "chest" too. :)
I love the spitting. That is hilarious, and that must have been the longest rendition of the Happy Birthday song ever
What nice kids, making Mom a birthday cake
That is too funny!! :) Glad everyone got a good night's sleep and Kaia--er, you--got a yummy cake! :)
That second picture of Kaia caught me off guard a little until I figured it out!
Her and Asher are so adorable with the candid things they say.
Yes, I think besides hugs and kisses, sleep is the most important thing kids can get. ;)
SOOO sweet. I too savor those sweet things and moments. I remember when Ashton used to tell me how beautiful i was, etc... too...savor those times b/c he rarely says that anymore (but does other cute things that make up for it).
And is Kaia stuffing her shirt in that picture?! Maybe not...but i had a chuckle over that picture b/c i can imagine her doing that so she is big like her mom?!! funny.
Post a Comment