Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Another compelling reason

So I found another compelling reason to head into NYC, and this time with just me and the kids. I've been doing some research on different methods of educating children as I decide how I want to teach Kaia (I'll most likely be homeschooling as long as we live where we do). I'm most interested in knowing more about the Montessori method and the Reggio Emilia approach. A couple of nights ago, I researched a lot of books on Amazon and came up with quite a list of books I wanted to read that would have cost a small fortune to buy, and our local library only carried one of the dozen books I wanted. In a flash of inspiration, I thought I should check the NYC library catalog (FYI: anyone who works in the city can get a free library card, so Peter has one). Sure enough, the library network in the city had most of the books I was interested in. Getting to and from the library was fairly uneventful and the kids were quite good in the library (after I gave each of them some Smarties to bribe them :). Here's the loot:


Now for the part of the story that proves this was a New York experience. On our walk from the train station up to the library, we were walking by Lord & Taylor's where they still have their window displays up. We decided to get in the short line and see them. My kids were enthralled, their noses pressed against the glass. I made sure we were scooted up as close to the glass as possible, and people easily walked around us to continue down the line. Well, all of a sudden I hear a guy behind me loudly declaring, "Keep it moving, everyone! You can't stand still! There are lots of people waiting!" I didn't turn around until the guy said, "Lady with the carriage!" I turned around and he said, "You have to keep moving; there's a long line!" I was really quite frustrated. What is the point of going to all the trouble of making the window displays if not to have two adorable little kids staring in awe at them? Were all the adults around us really getting so much more out of them than my children? Fortunately, the kids didn't hear him and it didn't affect their experience, but it did sour mine a bit. Ah, New York.

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

David remembers doing Montessori Preschool and learning to write and times tables, folding socks and then cursive in Kindergarten. My sister did Montessori also. It's a really good program. Good for you for homeschooling. Kaia is probably better off that way with how bright she is.

Kristi said...

That does sound like a typical NY experience! Glad the kids still had fun though!

Emily said...

Ya, I'm not a big fan of the city either. ;) Are the JC libraries not a part of the BCLS group...I've been able to find and request lots of books from other libraries that way. They send them right to your library and you just pick them up there.

Sara said...

You would be a very good teacher. Glad you found some good finds. As for the display windows, grrrr. Those kinds of things make me lose faith in mankind sometimes. They soon get restored by other good things.

Christina said...

Pros and cons all together. Good job finding the books!