Tuesday, January 29, 2008

One of THOSE Days

I had a really good feeling about today, starting at 6:20 when Asher woke up (I DON'T get up before 7:00 if I can help it). He just talked in bed until a little after 7:00 when Peter got him out of bed. Peter had to leave early for work today, so the kids and I had breakfast and then began entertaining ourselves. Kaia and I were starting her very own first scrapbook! And Asher was screaming. Actually, he pretty much screamed all morning. This is his trend right now. I'm guessing these are tantrums. Kaia really never had tantrums at this age. I don't think she ever had the terrible twos. If anything, she had a hairy time right before she turned 3 when she wasn't sleeping well at night so she was not herself during the day. But Asher is entirely different. Kaia was naturally curious at his age so she would get into things out of curiosity, but I can tell by the glint in his eye that half the time he is really just looking for trouble. And he spends a lot of time screaming. I think a lot of it is frustration on his part that he can't communicate what he wants since he doesn't have many words yet, except for animal noises. And I think it's also frustration that he doesn't get what he wants even when I do understand exactly what he's saying. So he SCREAMS!! Anyone who has talked with me on the phone recently knows this. It is the ear-piercing scream that enters right into the interior of my brain and makes me want to scream, too.

Okay, I'm sorry for seeming like I'm complaining. Asher is a sweet guy when he's not screaming. He still loves to cuddle and sit on my lap to read books or just play. I guess I'm having a really hard time with the screaming because it's so Jekyll & Hyde. Anyway, I felt like we'd spent a lot of the morning doing various things and I was hoping it was getting close to Asher's naptime to end the screaming spells for a while. I looked at the clock and it was 8:22. WHAT?!? How could that be? And how were we going to spend the next couple of hours while maintaining my sanity to some degree?

Well, Kaia suggested the wonderful idea of cleaning the bathroom. I thought, that should take up some time, so away we went. Of course, both of the kids were fighting over who got to swish the toilet brush around to make blue bubbles. And both kids were fighting over who got to scrub the toilet. But, hey, at least they were fighting about cleaning! Kaia got the Swiffer out of the closet, and Asher decided he wanted it to so he started to run around the house as she held it above her head to keep him from getting it. I thought this would be a great opportunity to lock myself in the bathroom to sweep the floors in peace. Of course my shutting and locking the door got their attention and they both came over and started knocking on the door. Then Kaia said a priceless thing: "I need some alone time in there, Mommy...with you!" That would go over well, I'm sure. The 2 of us locked in the bathroom...and what would Asher be doing - screaming, of course!!

These pictures are from the other day showing how helpful the kids are with cleaning. I tried to get Asher to turn around and wipe the windows like he'd been doing before I got the camera, but I guess he thought I wanted him to rub his little tush on the window for the picture instead.

One of Kaia's very favorite things to do is wash dishes. This usually involves oodles of soap and very breakable dishes, so I don't let her do it nearly as often as she would like. It must be a genetic thing - I remember loving to do dishes when I was a young child. I have a particularly sad memory from when I was probably in 1st grade or so. We had family friends over until late in the night and I had fallen asleep on the living room floor. I was very upset that my parents were making me go up to bed at 1:30 in the morning instead of helping with the dishes. Very strange!


A happier anecdote: Over breakfast the other day I heard Kaia say to Asher, "You are a beautiful guy, but you don't really talk."

And here are some pictures of Asher wearing his very own hat and gloves!! He no longer has to wear Kaia's old purple ones, which he always fought against. I finally caved when I saw these at Wal-mart - the hat was $1.44 and I think the gloves were $.94.

Of course it doesn't look like he's going to be any more likely to keep his own on:

3 comments:

Jess said...

We've had a couple of those days too--Emma has been getting off track with sleeping lately. Dang that afternoon church!

Rhett, Angie, and Rion said...

Your blog made my day today. I also had "one of those days". It made me happy to hear of someone else who shuts herself in the bathroom. Sometimes I just want some "Angie" time.:)

Anonymous said...

Those days are the worst. Why can't kids understand when you lock yourself in a room that you NEED to be alone? How old is Asher? I thought he was closer to one-that stinks that he's already acting like a 2year old. Caden turns 2 next month and is also doing a lot of screaming these days too so I know what you mean about wanting to scream yourself. Hope your next week is better.