Sunday, July 20, 2008

10 Seconds of Fame or Watch out SYTYCD

Background to this story: anyone who knew me in high school knows that I CAN NOT dance. What I mean is that I can't fast dance. I'm okay at choreographed dancing, but I just have no idea how to fast dance - I feel horribly self-conscious and can't think of any cool moves. =)

So I had taken the kids in to NYC about a month or so ago to meet up with a friend of mine to see the NYC waterfalls, a public art exhibit created by Olafur Eliasson. My friend Liz and I were asked by a corespondent for NBC if we would be willing to be interviewed and videotape for a little public interst piece he was doing on the waterfalls. Then after he interviewed us, he asked if we could all prance together like people do in the summertime to reflect a summery mood. My first (and only) thought was, "HUH?!?" I don't prance or dance or anything like that and I don't think summertime has ever made me feel like I would like to prance around on a boardwalk. Well, naturally, they cut out all the particularly insightful things I said that you will all just have to imagine and they only left in the part where I was PRANCING!! Never again will I prance for anyone on video (our prancing takes place in about the last 20 seconds). I'll leave SYTYCD for those who really think they can dance.

11 comments:

Stacey Mom said...

That is some pretty amazing dancing! It's fun that you got on the news and you got to show your stuff at the same time:)
Alisa

Becca said...

Looks like you were having fun 'mommy time' with the kids! You pulled it off well!

Rachelle said...

Well, it was good to see you for a second-even if it was you prancing with the kids

Liz Stanley said...

oh my gosh that was so awesome. jared and i were both laughing. however, i think you need to work on your prancing skills. i was expecting a little bit more high knee skips.

Josh said...

I think it is sad that prancing isn't practiced more these days. It seems to be slowly fading away. Hopefully people see your clip and think to themselves "it's time to bring back the prance!"

Lulu said...

well, it's cool that you went. i didn't even know they had an artificial waterfall.
anyway, i loved the 'prancing' it was very cute! and kids looked great.
i know what you mean though about the dancing. although for me it's not dancing, it's being in front of a camera.
hope ur having fun. take care.

Katie said...

I don't know, Maile. I think you have some pretty sweet moves! Of course, it doesn't hurt that you have some darling kids to dance with. :) I feel so connected with fame to know you, though! Wow! :)

Erica said...

That was pure awesomeness. Thank you for sharing :)

Naomi said...

Oh my word! You are FAMOUS! Oh, and awesome moves!

Emily said...

I couldn't get the video to come up, but since I know you Maile and I know how incredibly talented you are, I'm sure the prancing was perfect. :)

Andrea said...

Wow, it looks like all of those years of Choral Collection really paid off. Very well executed choreography. :) You have a beautiful family. Glad to see you so happy. It been ages since we last saw or heard anything from you. I thought you guys were still in China. It was fun running across your blog and seeing what fun adventures you have been having. Hope you are well.
Cory Dee