Sunday, July 27, 2008

DisneyWorld!!

We arrived home from DisneyWorld this past Monday; then we had my mom and sister Brianna staying with us until this morning. So it feels like we've been on vacation for the past 2 1/2 weeks!! It's going to be a little rough adjusting to normal life again.

We had a wonderful time at DisneyWorld. I was a little worried for various reasons - the weather would be too hot, we'd be there during a hurricane, the kids would get worn out with 4 days straight at the various theme parks - but none of my concerns turned out to be as serious as I thought they'd be. The kids had a fabulous time and I'm already mentally planning another trip in a few years. I highly recommend having someone in a wheelchair with you. =) My grandma and my 6-month pregnant sister Sienna were both in wheelchairs, which got us much faster access to some of the shows and rides.

Needless to say, Kaia's favorite thing about the week was meeting the princesses. The look on Kaia's face when she met the princesses was absolutely priceless. Anyone that knows my child knows that she is almost constantly talking, but she was dumbstruck in front of the princesses. We met Cinderella, Belle, and Aurora all in one room. She just stared in awe at Cinderella and didn't say a word to her. When she met Belle, who asked her which ride she loved, Kaia said, "I love..., I love..." She just couldn't think of a thing to say. So Belle asked her, "Did you like the teacups?" to which Kaia responded, "Yeah," even though she hadn't been on the teacups. By the time she got to Aurora, she was ready with her answer. Kaia told her, "I liked riding the horses" (on the carousel). Aurora responded, "Wonderful! My prince has a horse named Samson. What was your horse's name?" Kaia: "We don't have a horse!" Aurora: "What was the name of the horse you rode?" Kaia: Silence. Me: "Buttercup?" Kaia: "Yeah." Here are some pictures from meeting the princesses:


Asher also enjoyed the parks. Ironically, the things he loved the most were simple things like slides or fountains of waters. Asher is a kid that really remembers traumatic experiences. We took him on the Pirates ride that has a little hill and he's been talking about it ever since: "Wa(t)er. Dar(k). Scare(d)." Then he clings to me. Here are some more pictures of our Disney adventures:


One of the most memorable experiences of the trip is not a story for those easily grossed out. We were at Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM). Kaia told Brandon (Sienna's hubby) that she needed to go to the potty, to which he jokingly responded, "Let's go find a bush." Kaia took him seriously. I had been studying the park map to decided where we would go next. As I put the map down, I looked up to see my daughter naked from the waist down. She had stripped off her panties and shorts and was literally planning to go on a bush. I was so mortified that I just put the map up in front of my face again. I knew by that point it would be pointless to try to get her to a bathroom - she was past the point of making it there. I decided to look up one more time. I saw her hanging from a bar kind of like this one:


You'll have to try to see this visually to understand how it was so hilarious and so mortifyingly embarrassing at the same time. She was hanging from the bar swinging like a monkey at the same time that she was peeing, urine flying everywhere. I literally had to do everything I could not to pee my pants. I was laughing so hard from a mixture of thinking it was funny and being so embarrassed. I'm glad no one from the park came and kicked us out. In fact, no one but us seemed to notice at all.

16 comments:

Lulu said...

Oh Maile, I'm so happy for you and your family! I know it must be such a great thing for you all to go on a great vacation and have no worries about the things of life.
Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I almost started to cry while I was looking at the pictures w/ Kaia meeting the princesses. I as well have always had a love for the Disney Princesses and I can remember the emotions that I had when I went to Disney Land metting them when I was a kid. And just looking at Kaia in the pics reminded me of me, and it's such a sweet moment of life, that I know she'll never forget. So I definitely understand why she couldn't say a word! Those characters are like idols; to us little girls who love them know that they're the epitome of good, kindness, love, sweet heartedness, and just perfect in every way.
I guess, I would compare it to Joseph Smith seeing Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in the grove. I can't imagine him being able to speak to something so grand. And for a child like Kaia, they're that great and wonderful!
Sorry, that was a lot...but one last note; I love love love the peeing bit!! aahhhh, that's so funny!
Glad you're back, Nina has missed Kaia!

Kristina said...

I am so stinking jealous that you all got to go Disneyworld. We are headed to Oregon next year and I feel the same thing that you have to prepare yourself for such a big long trip with toddlers. We are taking the boys to Disneyland in two summers and that's if I get all prepared for it...lol... it was great to see all the pictures of your fun trip.

Becca said...

What a great trip! We've been wanting to do Disney World with kids but something always comes up. When we finally do get to go, we'll definitely have to come to you for advice :) What a great memory!

Naomi said...

Love all the pics! Sounds like you had a blast and your story about Kaia is hilarious! How cute is she with all the princesses. She must have been completely in heaven. So glad you returned home safely!

Katie said...

OK, now I am really excited for our trip and we have to wait until October!!! I need to get your suggestions on what we should do when we are there. BTW, if you guys plan another trip, let us know. We are only an 8 hour drive and I'm sure we could figure out how to meet you there. :)

Kristi said...

Wow, that looks like such a fun trip! We hope to take the kids in a few years. I'm so glad it all worked out for you guys and I LOVE the pee story!!!

Anonymous said...

it's great that you're able to make time for family vacations WITH your busy husband. thanks for sharing your fun pics so we can live vicariously.

Jenn said...

I'm jealous! It looks like you guys had a great trip. I love all of the Disney parks -- they are so magical! I loved them so much as a teenager and can only imagine going with kids. You've convinced me though . . . I might have to wait until I get a girl to make the effort. Kaia looks so cute with all those princesses, and I just can't imagine the experience being quite so magical for boys. Someday we'll be there!

Sara said...

What an eventful, dramaful and fun summer you have had. It has been nice to catch up. We are still homeless but not for long. Disney World looked like it was just the ticket for Kaia. She was in her element. Ahh...someday.

Stacey Mom said...

Sounds like a blast, peeing and all:) Good luck with the next few days. I can't wait to bring Ella to meet princesses, I bet that was so fun. Maybe we'll get to meet Kaia someday soon, Nathan and I are mentally planning a trip to come see you all before you leave!

Mistie said...

I love that you went to DisneyWorld. I always hoped we would go there but we left before we could. How priceless!! I love that Kaia coudl meet the princesses in person! And the peeing story is hilarious. Those memories are always the best! We are goign to Disneyland in OCtober...we cant wait. It will also be Ashton's first time (and it has been 15 years for me). Anyway- have fun re-adjusting to real life...that is always fun!!

Monica said...

Great photos! I'm glad you had a chance to go on vacation. As a child, we went to DisneyWorld every summer!

Kristina said...

Wahoo. e-mail me at olsen.kristina2@gmail.com. Let me know when you are coming. For sure lets do something. Are you coming for Heathers wedding, if so, will be there.

Jess said...

Love the Disney pics! Made me want to go again, though we were there less than a year ago. I think we're going to to in 2010 if you want to join us... :)

Swanky Mommy said...

That looks like it was SO fun! I'm mentally planning more trips too. :)

Erica said...

What a perfect family trip...filled with wonderful memories and even some blackmail stories. Priceless. I am totally jealous. Take me next time. I'll play nanny :)