Friday, October 3, 2008

A Day of Miracles

Yesterday began as a fairly normal day. We joined friends at the park in the morning, followed by a nap for Asher. Kaia and I were eating a snack. Then came an unexpected phone call. My dad called and basically told me, “I want you to know that I’m okay now, but you almost lost your dad yesterday.” What?!? After my dad visited an ATM machine (in Florida, where he is for business), he was followed by a man and then brutally attacked. My dad was stabbed 27 times. It is quite literally a miracle that my dad is alive. I’ve never before given much thought to the expression “he came within an inch of his life,” but it took on new meaning as I realized that my dad nearly died. If one of those stab wounds had been an inch (or less) in either direction, my dad wouldn’t have been the one making that phone call. It is a miracle that none of the knife wounds punctured any vital organs. I feel so incredibly grateful that my dad is still alive. At the same time, the world suddenly seems a much scarier place. At the moment, I don’t have much desire to ever leave the relatively safe confines of my own home. I know this feeling will pass to some degree, but I don’t think I’ll ever feel as safe as I once did. To know that any person at any time could attack me or a loved one is shocking, immobilizing. That this happened to my own dad still leaves me reeling.

Yesterday when I got off the phone with my dad, I found that items on my to-do list that had seemed so pressing only moments before were suddenly rendered completely irrelevant. Who cares about a mopped floor when I almost lost my dad? So yesterday I spent a lot of time staring off into space and trying to process what had happened. This morning, instead of jumping out of bed to mop those floors that were still trying to attract my attention, I lay in bed for a few more moments as Kaia was “saloning” my hair, smoothing it out and combing it, rubbing gel through it. In reality, which experience will stick with me longer? I’m pretty sure I won’t fondly remember mopping the floor. Of course, those types of things still need to be done, but I’m going to try not to do them at the expense of time I could be spending just enjoying my growing little ones and my loving husband.

Both my parents felt impressed that my dad’s life was spared because my little brother is serving a faithful mission. I am so grateful for this blessing. I am grateful that Heavenly Father spared my dad so we can have more time with him in this life. My dad was actually released from the hospital today, so he’s doing much better, although it was still take time for the wounds to heal and the pain to lessen. We would appreciate any prayers on his behalf so that he can continue to recover quickly.

17 comments:

Emily said...

Our prayers are definetly with you. When you told me about this aweful thing this morning, I almost couldn't believe it. You really are blessed that your dad is okay, and I totally understand your feelings of what really is important. Sorry we bombarded your house with all that was going on. I wish I would have known before and I would have brought you something. :) Please let me know if you need help in any way!

Kristi said...

Wow, what a horrible incident! I'm so sorry, but so happy that he is doing okay. We should all be grateful for the things and people in our lives! Wish him well!

Jess said...

Oh my goodness--I'm so glad he's okay! We will definitely be including him in our prayers. That's actually the second incident I've heard of this week. Dave's boss was pistol-whipped and mugged two days ago. It's enough to make me more than happy to stay home!

Johanna said...

Thanks for sharing that Maile. I am so glad you dad is ok and it really helps put things in perspective for me.

Grammadebs said...

Maile!! Uncle ROb just called and told me(we are in St. George)the horrible news. How does someone get stabbed 27x and Live???? That is SUCH bizarre happenings!!! we are so glad he is out of the hosptial.
We would love to call him if you can give us his phone #???
We are praying for your family!
We love you! MIRACLEs!

Becca said...

Whoa! That made me feel like I want to stay at home too! So glad that he is okay . . .what a blessing!

Sara said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are a strong woman to have that kind of perspective on this tragedy. I am so glad that he is even out of the hospital, that just doesn't happen! I hope you and your family are ok.

Hotzebra said...

WOW! My mom just told me what happened. I can't even believe it. It's amazing when you think you have it so bad, you take a step back and realize just how good you really do have it! I'm so glad he is ok. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Naomi said...

Maile! I'm so glad your dad is ok! How scary for you and your famly. He is definately in my prayers, I still can't believe he survived that many knife wounds. That is quite the miracle. Make sure to let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy horrible news. I feel for you right now. Our prayers will be with you and your family, and we pray that your dad has a full and speedy recovery.

Katie said...

I keep reading it and not believing it. Please let your family know that they are in our prayers. I can't imagine that level of brutality, especially against someone as amazing as your dad.

Liz Stanley said...

oh my gosh, i'm so glad he's okay. that is terrifying.

Mom said...

We just heard about this from Liz. (I'm here in SLC visiting with our newest grand baby, Gigi Thomas.) How grateful we are for this miracle. Unbelieveable! Love to all and we will remember your good father in our prayers.

Love, Betsy Ricks

Mom said...

Just heard about this. We are so grateful and will certainly keep your good father in our prayers. Love, Betsy Ricks

Erica said...

Allen came home and told me this. I am in shock. You're dad must be one awesome man with some awesome things left for him to do.

Allison said...

I'm speechless too. I've got chills. I am grateful I decided to snuggle my daughter tonight instead of getting mad at her screaming uncontrollably. I am so sorry and confused for you as well. 27 times? You are a blessed family. I bet you want to fly down to Florida right now to be with him. Is your mom there too with him or is she in Thailand?

Mistie said...

OH MY!! My body has complete chills right now. That is completely awful. I can understand why you dont ever feel like leaving your house. I get like that as well sometimes but now that i heard that- i feel even more that way. I can't believe the unnecessary evils out there. I am so happy that he will be all right in all this (physically, at least). You just made me rethink my day to day things and really what is important. Life is so fragile. My prayers are with you and your fam. I am still just sitting here in shock. Take care