First, the bread bowl recipe is found here. I used the 2nd recipe down called "Loz Bread Recipe," and I quarter the recipe because the original recipe makes 8 loaves! And here is the soup recipe I use and love. And as you can tell from the 2nd picture, even the kids
I recently found this recipe for Not-so-French French bread. It doesn't take an unbearably long time to make, and you do most of the work by mixing it with a spoon, not by kneading, and it still comes out delicious.
I am a huge fan of monkey bread (click here if you need to see a picture to know what I'm talking about). I mean, really, what's not to love? Sugary, buttery, cinnamony goodness - yum, yum!! When I've made it in the past, I've used purchased Pillsbury biscuits that you cut up and use in the recipe. However, I had a hankering on a Sunday and we didn't have any of the biscuits, so I found a recipe to make my own. I will never go back. I can't even describe how incredibly amazing these were, and what a difference the fresh dough makes. I combined 2 recipes when I made this - this one for the yeast bread part, and this one for the sugar and cinnamon, topping, and baking directions. You've got to try this!
Back to tonight's dinner...as I cooked, my kids were entertained with playdough (pictures taken on a different occasion):
I have long thought of myself as a playdough hater, but I recently made a batch of homemade playdough and had an epiphany. I don't care if there is playdough in the house as long as I don't have to play with it because for some reason I absolutely detest playing with it myself. I'm not exactly sure why - something about the texture, the gunk it leaves on my hands, and my inability to really do anything cool with the stuff. In the past, it seemed like if I had the kids play with it, they always wanted me right there with them so I eventually stopped letting them play with it altogether. Well, a new day has dawned!! My kids will sit for a long time and play all by themselves...and I will let them do just about anything if they will do that for a few minutes!
Anyway, recently I read a blog post where the author talked about how we as mothers often paint a picture of the "perfect" mother. We make an image of this mother that includes Suzie's playfulness, Sally's organization, and Sandra's perfectly kept house (ha ha). But we'd do ourselves a favor to recognize that we all have our unique strengths that make us the mother we are. I am a great art project mother, among other things, and it's okay, thank heavens, to not be the playdough mother. :) While I think this philosophy can be taken to the extreme if we start justifying true weaknesses that we need to overcome, I think the majority of us can give ourselves a break and really embrace our individuality as mothers.

9 comments:
I'm super impressed with the bread bowls! I'll have to try them out. We had some once (not homemade) and the kids thought they were so cool!
Like the new look of the blog! And I'll have to try those recipes. I'm not that great with yeast either, but I aspire to be better. :)
num yummy!! all those recipes look delicious. i'm definitely going to have to make them; especially those bread bowls.
and amen to the tribute to us mothers and what makes us unique.
Thank you so much for these wonderful recipes! I love broccoli soup and bread bowls,although I have never tried making the bread bowls; I will definitely attempt it now!
And monkey bread? My kids will think that's awesome!
Mmm I think I can smell the bread baking...I haven't attempted that in a long time!
Great insight on the mothering categories. I will be excited to see if I can pull off some bread bowls, they look so good.
Yummy! I am slowly learning how to do yeast breads but they are still my least favorite. As for play dough, I'm there with you. Davin loves it but only when I play with him. If I leave him to play by himself, he makes a huge mess. Your kids don't seem to be lacking exploratory play by any means, so I think you don't have to worry about the playing with play dough: going to college ratio. :)
You are awesome! For some reason bread recipes scare me so I never even dare to try them out. The soup bowl looks so yummy!
Hello Martha.
Post a Comment