Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Church tales

So we were sitting in sacrament meeting (the first hour of our church) on Sunday. The kids were behaving themselves pretty well. Some friends behind us were sharing their sticker book with my kids, so I was actually getting to listen to the speakers until I heard ear-shattering screams coming from the child next to me. Asher was furious that he could not get a picture of the triceratops out of the book because it was not a sticker. It took him a few minutes to really cool down and focus on anything else. (My kids are still on a major dinosaur kick. In fact, after saving a family of triceratops from the mean dinosaur at the playground yesterday, said family of dinosaurs is now living with us!)

Now for a little potty talk - a warning for any squeamish readers. =) Growing up, I remember if someone smelled a toot we all tried to deny it was us. Not so for my children; they fight over who is the stinky one. Later on in sacrament meeting, we are sitting there and all is quiet until Kaia loudly declares, "I had a stinky toot!" I give her the do-not-say-that-again-or-else look and Asher yells, "No! My stinky poop!" and points to his diaper. Kaia then proceeds to announce, "I really need to go poop," along with other details I won't share. I am of course mortified. I was trying to get her to wait until the person at the pulpit had finished speaking, but I decided the situation would only get worse by waiting so we made a mad dash for the door. Fortunately, Kaia made up for it by being fantastically wonderful in Primary (at least compared to her usual crazy self) - I guess we sufficiently bribed her with promises of great desserts that night. =)

I loved an interchange between the Primary president and Kaia during sharing time. Liz was having kids come up to help her. She talked about how Heavenly Father answers our prayers - sometimes the answer is no, sometimes yes, and sometimes not yet. So she was having the kids come up and pretend they were parents in different scenarios - what would their answer be to their children's questions? Liz asked Kaia, "If your children had finished all their work and it was still early in the afternoon and they asked to go outside to play, what would you say?" Kaia: "No." Liz: "Even if they had finished all their work? Could they go outside then?" Kaia: "In six minutes." Okay. Yes, this girl has practice with delayed gratification. =)

Both our kids have begun to enjoy singing recently. Asher's favorite right now is Book of Mormon stories:


Here are the words for those who don't know the song:
Book of Mormon stories that my teacher tells to me
Are about the Lamanites in ancient history.
Long ago their fathers came from far across the sea.
Given this land, if they live righteously.

5 comments:

Johanna said...

Love the video of Asher. EZ loves to sing as well with a mix of the real words and gibberish. He is currently hooked on popcorn popping and where is thumbkin. I don't know if you know but we have a blog too that I started this summer. It is johnandjohannabrown.blogspot.com. I love checking out blogs so I thought I would pass that along.

Kristi said...

So cute!!

Jess said...

What fun (if somewhat mortifying at the time) stories! Glad they are keeping sacrament meeting entertaining!

Erica said...

Poop stories are my absolute favorite. I don't even think you understand!!

Sara said...

I think church brings out the best and worst in kids. Sometimes they are angels then other times well, they are not. It is funny how right during talks they decide it is time to go potty. My boys are fine but Brooklyn thinks every Sunday she needs to get out of at least one talk. I think they time it just right to have an excuse to leave. I love Asher's song. He is getting so big!