Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Project

When we visited Becca the other day, she gave us a project that they hadn't had time to do: a set of doll furniture to assemble. (Becca, you were right - it is a MAJOR project!) Becca gave us 3 kits that contain furniture for a small doll-size dining room, bathroom, and nursery. Kaia has been in absolute heaven with this project. She woke up Wednesday morning at 6:45 a.m. because she was so excited to get started. We spent a good part of that day sanding and painting little wood pieces. On the second day, we punched out, sanded, and painted the rest of the pieces; then Peter helped Kaia start gluing them together that evening. Tomorrow's project after church will be to finish gluing the rest of the furniture. The funny thing is that Kaia was really having a hard time understanding why she wouldn't be able to sit on the little chairs at the dining room table. I don't know how many times I had to explain that the chairs were much too small for her. But she did try to get dolly to sit at the table, with equally unsuccessful attempts. Here are some photos chronicling the process:


I made a little list of some of the things that made this a valuable learning experience for all of us:
*Kaia had such a great time mixing paint colors

*Kaia got good practice using her listening skills...and learning about consequences for not listening

*Asher had lots of practice entertaining himself

*Both Peter & I got to practice having patience

Now we need to make sure the furniture is played with after all that time making it!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Wow! I'm super impressed that you guys set to work on that. It looks so great! I hadn't even thought to paint them but they look so fun now! You are such a GREAT mom, Maile!!

Lisa said...

What a fun project!! I've always thought that would be fun... but now that I see how much work goes into those kits... maybe we'll buy they assembled and just paint them..haha. But what fun memories you are making for Kaia!

Sara said...

That shows your dedication to your children!