Sienna (and other interested family members), these are mainly for your reading pleasure:
Here's one I forgot to write from our time in Utah:
We were at my Grandma Tamara's house and a couple of my cousins were there with their kids. My cousin's husband, Tim, was outside and was heading inside when this conversation happened:
Kaia: Where are you going?
Tim: Inside.
Kaia: Would you stay out here because I like to have an adult present.
Present? Where did she learn that? I swear I've never said anything like this to her, at least not that I can remember.
We have been working, with varying degrees of success, to get both the kids to call me Mommy instead of Maile. My latest tactic has been to only speak to the kids in Chinese if they call me Maile, until they call me Mommy. Then Kaia started saying, "But your name is Maile," to which I responded, "Yes, but I would love it if you would please call me Mommy." Now when Asher calls me Maile and I start speaking to him in Chinese, he says, "No, Maile! Maile name!" The things he picks up from his sister that he wouldn't figure out for years on his own... Then the other day Asher was calling, "Kai! Kai!" and Kaia informed him, "You can call me sister."
Asher has been a major Daddy's boy ever since we got home. The other day we were driving and Asher said, "Shorts all wet." I turned around to acknowledge him and what he was saying: "Oh, your shorts are all wet?" Asher so lovingly exclaimed, "No! Tell Daddy!"
And Kaia's most recent catch phrase, which summarizes very well the stage she's in right now, is, "I'm gonna do whatever I wanna do!"

4 comments:
I wish I could take Kaia's latest phrase and use it myself! Sometimes I just want to do whatever I wanna do! hehe
Kaia says the funniest things. I too wonder where kids come up with certain words. Michael's new phrase it, "Mom, don't be so serious." haha
i love that you only speak to them in chinese when they call you maile. that sounds like something my mom would do. your kids are the best.
Maile, your kids are so stinkin' funny. I love reading about them on your blog. Your daughter reminds me a LOT of my niece who is just as quick-witted! The whole Chinese thing is pretty funny...that'd be frustrating! ha ha, take care!
Post a Comment