Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!!

I'm 27 today!! Turning 27 was far less traumatic than I would have imagined a few years ago. It seems the closer I get to 30, the younger 30 seems. And for some reason I've thought I was already 27 for most of this year (?!?) so it wasn't really a big shock to turn 27 today. I think 27 sounds like a really nice in between to 25 and 30. I have a good feeling about this year.

Asher gave me an early birthday present yesterday. When I left to go running, I said, "Bye, guys! I love you!" to which Asher responded, "Love (y)ou!" This is the first time he has actually said those words to me - I loved it!

Peter fed the kids breakfast and entertained them so I could sleep in...so I got to sleep in until 7:30 (I have no idea why our kids think waking up before 7:00 every day is a good idea). I woke up to this conversation:

Kaia: What's your favorite thing to do, Asher?

Asher: --silence--

Kaia: What's your favorite thing to do, Ash?

Asher: --silence--

Peter: Play with your sister?

Asher: Play sister. Play sister.

Kaia: What else is your favorite, Asher?

Asher: Play sister. Play sister.

Kaia: But I'll get too tired if you just want to play with me all the time!

In the morning, we headed to the car to drive to our ward playgroup. For literally 15 minutes, the kids sang over and over, "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you." They never moved beyond singing the same line repeatedly.

The rest of the day was pretty low key. I just focused on enjoying being with my family. For dinner, we had Butternut Squash Orzo - wonderfully delicious - and we used fresh peaches we picked from the farm last weekend to make this awesome Peach Cobbler, which Peter said may be the best peach cobbler he's ever had. And I got pictures of the kids but none of me - whoops.



And Asher is currently singing, "Happy birthday to you!" from bed instead of sleeping. =)

11 comments:

Katie said...

Happy Birthday! I was going to call you today but then I couldn't remember if it was today or Saturday. I'm sorry!!! I did remember, though. I love the peach cobbler idea. I'm not a huge fan of birthday cake and I like the idea of branching out to other birthday desserts. I hope you had a great day!!!

Ames and Jer-da-me said...

Happy Birthday Maile!

Kristina said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY..
I can't believe you are 28, what the heck.
Seems like yesterday we all were little dressing up and putting on plays at grandma's house..lol..or going to Classic to skate...WHAT THE HECK, where does the time go..
You are a mommy of two,and now 28.. WOW...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Oh I am so excited to try that cobbler...um I am down with the different birthday cake ideas, but seriously there is nothing better then SHEET CAKE, I just love it..
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jess said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry we missed the big celebration. Glad you had a fun day!

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday!! I wish I would have known it was your bday when you called!! We're all getting old, aren't we??

Erica said...

Happy Birthday Chickee!! Sounds like a fabulous day. I am excited for 27. It sounds like an adult age without being old.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! And what better way to spend it than with your fabulous family. The peach cobbler looks FANtastic!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday! You are still young enough that you can talk about birthdays. Some of us like to brush it under the rug! That cobbler looks so good!

lori said...

Happy Birthday Maile! Your family is so daarling - so glad you had a wonderful day!!

Brittany said...

Happy birthday, friend! Maybe next month we can go to lunch and call it a birthday celebration. We need a catch-up, scrapbook, yummy food play date!

Mistie said...

Happy bday!!27 is a GOOd age. I am 29 and it does fell wonderful to still be in your "20s"! Also, the peach cobbler looks amazing. i love that dessert but never made it...you inspired me!! I miss all the options for farms that are there...so pick a few for me!!!