Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Few Anecdotes

Fortunately, Asher has been screaming a little less recently. We've been having better days since the hard one a little while ago. Following are some anecdotes that give a little taste of what's been happening around here recently.

The other day Asher came up to me when I was busy in the kitchen. He lifted his hand up to show me something on his fingers. I caught a whiff and realized it was poop! Gross, I know. Of course I gave a huge reaction to this fact, so Asher thought it was very funny. And I did laugh a little. I mean, it was kind of funny. So then, as I'm holding the poopy hand so he doesn't get it anywhere and trying to wash the food I'd been preparing off my other hand, Asher stuck his other hand into the back of his pants and pulled out more poop. It became this very funny game to him as I tried desperately to keep him from getting poop on himself or me or anything else until I was able to get him changed. All in a day's work!

As I was getting ready for the day in the bathroom, I heard Kaia saying from the living room, "Don't get the fish, Ash! You're not supposed to get the fish!" Needless to say, I quickly ran out. Shakakan the fish had not been thrown across the living room as I had feared, thanks to Kaia's bodyguarding attempts. But now that Asher has seen Kaia carry one of the chairs over to where the fish is kept, I'm not sure if he'll survive for much longer.

I took my camera to church last Sunday to get pictures of the kid to display on a bulletin board. I had them line up one by one against the wall to get their picture. After seeing this a number of times, Asher decided it was his turn. He walked right up to the wall, turned around, and posed for this very serious photo (he was all business):


Kaia has been joining us in bed every night for quite a while. I resorted to trying bribery to get her to stay in her bed, which has not worked. But she decided to try it in reverse. As I was putting her to bed a couple nights ago she said, "Mommy, I have a secret to tell you. If you sleep in my bed all night with me, you'll get new Play-doh for Christmas!"

This morning Kaia and I had the following discussion:
K: Mom, I want to see the snake movie.
M: Oh, Kaia, that one's gross.
K: No, Mom, it's not eating the mouse. It's playing hide and seek!

Why, you might ask, would I even need to have a conversation with my daughter about a movie where a snake may or may not be eating a mouse? Because my dear brother Jordan put such a movie on my computer from his camera. When I saw it on our computer I had no idea what it was until I watched with Kaia as a snake comes out of nowhere to attack an unsuspecting rat. But, as Kaia said, they were only playing hide and seek. I guess that's the job of an uncle - to keep things interesting!

5 comments:

Sara said...

I love your adventures. It ceases to amaze me of the things that kids do. They change every hour. I love all the pictures!

Naomi said...

Your kids crack me up! Love the seriousness of Asher in his pic. It's so funny how kids pick up on things.

Erica said...

I am so happy to hear Asher is giving you a little bit of a break. You def deserve it!! We are excited to see you tomorrow!!

Rhett, Angie, and Rion said...

You kids are so funny!! I love the stories you always have posted about them. Your blog always brightens my day!

Brandon and Sienna said...

I love it. Asher is so adorable. Do you remember at ISB the kid who had to go to a mental hospital because he smeared poop all over the band room? Well that made me think of it. I know your kid isn't crazy though. love ya
I am still waiting for Kaia's phone call.