Sunday, February 24, 2008

Massage

Last Friday, the first thing Kaia said to my mom and Jordan after they arrived home from picking up my Grandma Tamara at the airport was, "I'm ready to go get a foot massage!" So we all headed over after my grandma had settled in a bit (I'm so excited we get to spend time with her in Thailand, too!). The ladies at the massage parlor thought it was so sweet that this little 3 year old wanted to get a massage. They got her situated on her own chair and brought her water. Kaia's masseuse was going to do a short massage, but I think the lady was having so much fun that it turned into a 45 minute massage. Now, Kaia's not really one for lots of physical affection and touch. I think we've realized she prefers the massages her dad gives her - the 2 minute type. She didn't complain at all during the massage, but a few minutes into it she turned to me and said, "I'm ready to go get my nails done now." But then the lady came back and kept massaging her. She's like me - we have a really hard time showing our displeasure to someone's face. Whenever we asked if she liked the massage while we were there she said yes, but when I asked her back at Grandma's house, she said it was too long.

Jordan's masseuse asked him how old he was. I said, "He looks a lot older with all that hair and his beard, doesn't he?" I thought she responded by saying he looks like he's "sixty." But, as it turns out, she was actually saying he is "Sexy. Man. Sexy man, hair." So much for getting an outsider to convince Jordan to reduce his hairness at least a little bit. =) Then the masseuse asked for his e-mail address.

The US Dollar has fallen in value since the last time I was in Thailand 2 years ago, which basically makes things a little more expensive here in Thailand than I've been used to in the past. But even still, the massages came out to $9.50 for an hour, including tip. All the fabulous fruit here in Thailand is one of my favorite things about coming here. And the fruit in this picture costs 33 cents a bag! Amazing!

6 comments:

Becca said...

Looks fun! A massage sounds really nice - I don't know how my kids would have handled that either. Kaia is very patient!

Sara said...

How relaxing especially after you trek to get there. And what a bargin. You know Kaia getting pampered like this will be the beginning of some major trouble in the future!:) But girls are worth it. Say hello to your Mom for me, she was so nice. Sara

Mistie said...

What a fun experience for you to be there and to let Kaia experience it all. And i was laughing to hear about how she sat there the whole time. How polite she is. I loved the picture of your mom and grandma (i'm assuming) with Kaia...it was priceless!

Katie said...

I'm so glad that you made it okay. I was thinking about you and praying the whole time you were flying. If there is anyone who can do it, you can! It looks like you are having a great time. Tell your family hello! I miss them so much! BTW, I think that we are coming to NYC. I need to figure out the details, but I will email you soon.

Erica said...

Sweet. I could use a massage. Especially at that price. Kaia is one amazing kid. I love her to death!! I am sure you are having an amazing trip!!!

Erica said...

I am so jealous of your shopping excursions! Seriously, our boys get to go on a road trip together. I think I need to go on a trip to Thailand with you. That's totally fair right??
I'm excited for you to get back so I can salivate over your purchases!!