Saturday, April 5, 2008

First Dentist Appointment

Kaia had her first dentist appointment a couple days ago. She was actually really excited. She knew she would get a new toothbrush and stickers. She was impatient as I filled out all the paperwork - "I'm ready to go see the dentist now, Mom" 10 times over. She sat really nicely in the chair while the hygienist cleaned her teeth:

Of course, one of her favorite things about the chair was the cool water toy:

I'm including this picture for the dental students in the ward. When the hygienist was flossing Kaia's teeth, she noticed she couldn't floss between a couple of the teeth in the front. When the dentist looked at them he used words like germination and fusion. The basic idea is that Kaia has 3 very narrow teeth that are all stuck together. It's apparently pretty rare. Our dentist has been in practice for quite a while, I think, and he said he's only seen a couple of these. There are 2 ways this happens - either the teeth fuse together as they grow or they grow up out of the same tooth bud (sorry, for you dental students that I probably slaughtered the definition of these processes). The doctor kept saying he wished he had a picture of her teeth. I would've offered to take a picture, but I didn't think my camera would take a clear one. But, when we were outside today, I decided to give it a shot just so everyone can see; the 3 middle teeth are all stuck together:

5 comments:

Becca said...

Wow! That will be interesting when they fall out in a few years. All three becoming lose at the same time or all together?

Ames and Jer-da-me said...

Jer said that your definition and explanation was pretty spot on. He is actually very interested in her mouth. In school he has only talked about that condition in adults. We are actually kindof curious about how they will fall out too. I can kindof relate to Kaia, my mouth is a dental anomaly as well. Both of my canine teeth grew into the wrong spot.

Kristi said...

Samantha loved her dentist appointment as well especially because my sister was the hygienist. Sorry about Kaia's teeth! I guess there could be worse things. Man, she is a cute little girl!!

Maile said...

I'm a little worried about them falling out - will it be particularly painful, I wonder?

Naomi said...

I've never heard about fused teeth. I'm sure Chad brought it up in his dental conversations with me at some point but most often than not he gets tuned out as soon as he uses big dental terms! I'll definately have to remember to share this post with Chad so he can see. I'm always nervous when taking the kids to the dentist. They do alright but Kaia looks like she thoroughly enjoys it. Hmmmm, maybe you have a future dentist on your hands. :)