Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sleep...

We all need it. Many of us probably feel we don't get enough of it, especially those of us with young children. I just recently started listening to my first podcast, Jumping Monkeys, that's run by 2 parents - one a parent of teenagers, the other a parent of young kids. Every week they invite different people on their show to discuss issues usually relating to parenting and sometimes also tied into technology. The last few episodes I've listened to since I've begun have been very informative and entertaining. Then I saw an episode I missed a while back that I knew I wanted to listen to.

In the episode Jumping Monkeys Episode 21: Ashley Merryman on Sleep and Your Kids Ashley Merryman, a journalist who did a lot of research on the effects of sleep, was on to talk about how important sleep really is. I found it fascinating. It talked about the effects on children and also on adults. She talked about the importance of regular bedtimes (for kids and adults), how much of our learning takes place during sleep as the brain reviews what we've learned during the day, the impairment that comes from regular sleep deprivation that we don't notice because we've grown accustomed to it, and much more. Anyway, I thought I would share with you in case you want more information on why bedtime is so important! (When you click on the link above, you'll see an option a little way down the post to "Listen at TWiT." Then you can download the audio file.)

No comments: