Of course, I had to buy 3 trays of the bell peppers. They're just a little bit wrinkled on the outside but other than that they're fine, and for that price...who cares if they're a little old! The first time I had roasted red peppers was when I first made this soup a few months ago. It's so good I just had to share.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Roast 6 large red bell peppers and set aside
Heat in a soup pot over medium-low heat:
3 T olive oil
Add and cook until tender not browned, 10 to 15 minutes:
2 c. chopped onions
1 c. diced carrots
1 c. chopped celery
Stir in the roasted peppers along with:
6 cups chicken broth
3 T. white rice
2 t. dried basil
1 t. dried rosemary
1 t. fennel seeds (I didn't have these)
1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes (I was out so I just added a dash or two of cayenne pepper)
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until the peppers and rice are very tender, about 30 minutes. Puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and stir in:
1/2 c. cream
2-3 drops balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Enjoy!
(Some of the dark flecks in the soup are from spices, but most come from the fact that I got distracted in the first phase of cooking the onions, carrots, and celery and they burned a bit. But you couldn't even tell from the taste of the soup.)

5 comments:
That sounds so yummy! I love soup, so definately going to give this one a try. Thanx for sharing!
thanks for the recipe, hopefully I can make it sometime. I really can't remember the last time I cooked. Brandon is such a good husband!!! and I don't eat with him till thursday night anyways.
I didn't really think I was a huge pepper fan until I saw that soup and read the ingredients. I cannot imagine it tasting anything other than completely delicious. That looks so yummy. I am seriously salivating right now. Guess I should go buy some peppers.
I love A&P - it always made me feel a little more "normal!" And what a bargain with the peppers! It seems you always try new things and recipes...i need to do more things like that!
Sounds delicious. I'm going to try this one. Betsy in Scarsdale
Post a Comment