Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Grandma Vickie's coming today!!


Kaia is so excited to have Grandma coming, but every time we talk about it she says, "But I will be so sad when Grandma leaves." Yes, we will, but let's enjoy having her here before we mourn her going home. Kaia has declared that she would like Grandma to stay for 5 years.

About this picture: when we were looking for clothes in the morning, Kaia said she wanted to wear "short pants." I told her she could just call them "shorts." Later in the morning, she was referring to them as "little short pants," as in "I really love my little short pants, Mom!" At one point she turned to me and said, "I just want to call my little short pants 'little short pants.'" Okay!

On a different note, I LOVE running! I'm finally being reminded of that. My running was derailed when we went to Thailand, and I'm just finally getting back into the groove. In fact, today was the first day I've been able to run 30 minutes straight again since before we went to Thailand. And I even ran 31 1/2 minutes straight because I was feeling great by the end of the run and I hadn't made it home yet. My body feels great!! Now I feel like I can think about doing a race again; my conviction had really wavered when I was not running consistently. I couldn't imagine running a marathon when I couldn't even make it 30 minutes without walking. So I'm back on the right track...But I have a question for you: would it be copping out to decide to do a half-marathon instead of a marathon? I don't want to cop out, but I feel like a half-marathon would still be an accomplishment and would still be a memorable experience. I think training for a half-marathon might fit into my life better right now - with 2 little kids who are still waking up at least a couple times every night. Perhaps a marathon will be more reasonable a few years down the road. And doing a half-marathon will still keep me running. I don't want to push too hard without enough running experience and then end up injured. What do you think?

Since it was on my mind as I ran this morning, I thought I'd list some of the reasons Iove to run:
*I love the feeling that I can do something that's not easy - get out of bed and out the door when it would be easier to just lounge around.
*I love feeling my body gain strength as well as regain, to some extent at least, my pre-baby body.
*I love running without an iPod so I can just enjoy the sounds of outside - helicopters chopping, geese honking, and songbirds singing. As I ran this morning, I ran right past a little brown bird who would sing one sound 3 times, then switch to another sound 3 times, and then another and another. It was almost like it was practicing to make sure all its sounds were still there after a night's rest. I was so glad not to miss that.
*I love that I process through thoughts as I run. I feel I'm much more healthy emotionally right now just because I have this therapeutic time. And I've become more assertive in large part because of running - if I can run then I can do other things I used to think were hard.

4 comments:

Kristina said...

I LOVE to run also.... It does leave you feeling wonderful and better about yourself. I would love to run a marathon but a half sounds better to me. I want to just be able to run a 5k without feeling like I could just crawl under a rock. I still have a hard time running for to long from when I was sick, my heart races to much to fast. Running is such a good thing and really enjoy it.

Lulu said...

ur an inspiration! carlos has been wanting to get in some running and exercise; but we both just can't put it as a priority in our lives, mainly because of the girls. when am i ever going to be able to get away from them is what it boils down to.
listening to you makes me want to start running!
and about the marathon, i would do a half. if you feel as though it's doable then once you've accomplished that, maybe a marathon will look even easier.

Carma said...

That's so funny about Kaia and the "short pants" - Nico says that too and I have no idea where he got it from, but it is so cute!!

Brittany said...

Way to go, Maile! I know I've told you this before, but you're my inspiration! (I think the last time I ran consistently was on my mission--and only because I had a track star companion! So you put me to shame.) I think it's really important and easy to forget to take "you time." I also think it's a HUGE accomplishment to complete a half marathon. I'd say, start with a half--it's a logical way to work up to the big one, right?